Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

Default new welding cart

Hot Max WC100 Welding/Plasma Cutter Cart - Amazon.com
    I purchased this to hold my new Everlast 160STH. My issue with all these carts is that the wheels are
    not made for gravel, or much offroading.

So here's my "genius" idea and I need to get my bubble deflated if need be by someone who might have done
    this before. I'd like to take the front and rear tires off the cart and plunk it down right in the middle of this $80 garden cart.
    Though I think I would put a nice thick piece of plywood on it first.

If the storage cart is adequately fastened down, and without a bottle on back for awhile, I think the wide track of the little wagon will get the job
    done. Suggestions, thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -143031_lg-jpg  
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, LP RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, LP 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case 580B, Long 460, Allis-Chalmers 160

Default Re: new welding cart

That would work OK, but I've yet to find a chinese tire that doesn't either go flat twice a week or explode - my solution to that is this

10" x 2-1/2" Solid Rubber Tire

The pic looks like there's only one bearing, the actual has two. Direct replacement for any 5/8" bore, quite heavy, don't go flat or explode. Sometimes on sale for $6 each... Steve

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by daugen
    Hot Max WC100 Welding/Plasma Cutter Cart - Amazon.com
    I purchased this to hold my new Everlast 160STH. My issue with all these carts is that the wheels are
    not made for gravel, or much offroading.
    I'd like to take the front and rear tires off the cart and plunk it down right in the middle of this $80 garden cart.
    I used a cart like that when I welded some pipe fence one time. Worked OK and had extra room for some tools too. Only bad thing was thornes in the tires. Add some tire slime and it should be fine.
    Dan H.

Tractor
    Kubota B7610

Be sure to keep your work far enough away from those pneumatic tires so dropping slag doesn't get the chance to burn a hole and give you a flat.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightnsound View Post
    Be sure to keep your work far enough away from those pneumatic tires so dropping slag doesn't get the chance to burn a hole and give you a flat.
    Yes indeed, I hadn't thought of that.

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Here's my setup for my Hobart LX Stickmate AC/DC welder

-wheel-disc-mod-1-2-a

Wagon is from Tractor Supply.

Good luck

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

that's it! thanks
    Yes, since I saw nothing at HF, my next go to spot is TSC, which I like, but
    it's a drive and I need a good reason to go. I'd say an "all terrain transport vehicle"
    qualifies as a good reason. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case 580B, Long 460, Allis-Chalmers 160

I ordered one of the Hot Max carts after seeing your comments - by now I think we both know how well it'll move in rough terrain (not) - in my case, it'll be used as a temporary home for my wire machine (miller 211) til I get the REAL cart built, then I'll beef it up a bit and use it for a separate cart for the upcoming TIG machine.

If you're interested, here's what I'll probably be doing to improve the cart -

Drill out the rear wheel bushings to 5/8, piece of 5/8 allthread thru to replace 1/2" axle, replace 6" plastic wheels with 10" solid rubber handcart wheels from HF

10" x 2-1/2" Solid Rubber Tire

I'll run 5/8 nuts on the allthread up against the original (drilled out) bushings, then flat washers, wheel, flat washer, Nylock nuts. This lets me adjust spacing just loose enough to turn easy, without double nuts sticking out.

Replace front casters with 4" urethane swivel/lock casters from Woodcraft - these will raise the front by about the same amount as the 10" tires do the rear (I buy 'em when they're on sale, these are by far the best I've found - sale price is usually about $14 each)

Buy 4 Caster Double Locking Swiveling with 4 Hole Mounting Plate at Woodcraft

Lightly grind off whatever stinky coating from front and rear corners of bottom shelf and weld the top corners, repaint

Put some rubber matting under machine, bottle, etc

Run bulk grommeting material around the two bottle supports for padding

If I decide later on to just scrap the cart, all the above are re-claimable for other projects.

After playing with all those "itty-bitty" bolts, and the directions that "sorta" work, good job "tom sawyering" your wife into putting it together

From your description of your location, I'd second your idea of leaving the wheels off and bolting it down to the 4-wheel cart you show. I'd still keep those solid rubber tires in mind though... Steve