Stick on a TIG machine

/ Stick on a TIG machine
So let me ask you this, which of your SMAW / GTAW machines has the same beautiful arc with 6010, and 7018 as my PA-200, but also comes with a foot pedal, and high frequency start?

That is truly the $64,000 question. I hope the answer is the PA-160 STH, because all of Everlast's other pedal-capable machines are in a bit higher price bracket.

/ Stick on a TIG machine #12  
We're working on our PowerTigs for late 2013 to have the same performance. Right now the newest edition of the 160sth is pretty close. They have worked on it for improved 6010 capability...though I haven't tried it out yet, so I can't personally vouch for it.

But the PA 300 outside of the TIG requirement has the same, if not better performance on 6010 than the 200. We've got a new version of the PA 200 in an ST version on the way though which has improved 6010 performance, and 110V performance even with 6010 (but with a 35% duty cycle, which is a bittersweet tradeoff) which will be the best built PA to date...

/ Stick on a TIG machine #13  
I have forgotten about a couple of things....the new digital units do have the capability...with adjustable hot start and arc force control. The current I tig 200 is an excellent all around DC pulse tig/stick unit, at a great price, but isn't up to 6010. We've got a new digital i tig on the way that should be good with it (I hope).

/ Stick on a TIG machine
Everybody seems to focus on a stick welder's ability to run 6010 as a benchmark of its quality. As a n00b welder, I don't think I really have an appreciation for the significance of that. I know that pipe-fitters' bread and butter is 6010, but for more general fabrication work, is that the kind of thing I should really care about? Or will I go my whole life running 6011 and 7018 and never miss a beat?

Comparing the I-TIG 200 to the PA-160 STH, it seems like the main difference is the enhanced TIG parameters: pulse, upslope, downslope, etc... On the stick side, it seems that the I-TIG has adjustable arc force, while the PA-160 has arc force, but it's not user-adjustable. Is that all correct?

/ Stick on a TIG machine #15  
the PA 300 outside of the TIG requirement has the same, if not better performance on 6010 than the 200.
Yeah, story of my life! If I would have waited until you guys came out with the PA-300 I wouldn't have spent $5,000.00 on the V350-Pro.
I have to giggle when people say these small inverters can't run 6010. My PA-200 runs 6010 every bit as nice as either one of my SA-200 short hoods. Now I'm no 6010 hand, but I don't think this is to bad for a small inverter. This is a 6010 weld I made when I first got my PA-200.

Attachments

• 10P Plus B.jpg
    10P Plus B.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 142
   / Stick on a TIG machine #16  
Everybody seems to focus on a stick welder's ability to run 6010 as a benchmark of its quality. As a n00b welder, I don't think I really have an appreciation for the significance of that. I know that pipe-fitters' bread and butter is 6010, but for more general fabrication work, is that the kind of thing I should really care about? Or will I go my whole life running 6011 and 7018 and never miss a beat?

Comparing the I-TIG 200 to the PA-160 STH, it seems like the main difference is the enhanced TIG parameters: pulse, upslope, downslope, etc... On the stick side, it seems that the I-TIG has adjustable arc force, while the PA-160 has arc force, but it's not user-adjustable. Is that all correct?

Joshua, you are essentially right. Though the PA 160sth has a little more slant to 110 performance, as it does do a little better on 110 than the i tig...not much but a little more amps.

/ Stick on a TIG machine #17  
Yeah, story of my life! If I would have waited until you guys came out with the PA-300 I wouldn't have spent $5,000.00 on the V350-Pro.
I have to giggle when people say these small inverters can't run 6010. My PA-200 runs 6010 every bit as nice as either one of my SA-200 short hoods. Now I'm no 6010 hand, but I don't think this is to bad for a small inverter. This is a 6010 weld I made when I first got my PA-200.

The 300 can adjusted with the hot start so much so that no self respecting rod would dare to stick, in fear of immediate disciplinary action. lol.

/ Stick on a TIG machine #18  
I'll tell you, who ever invented adjustable hot start, and arc force is my hero!:thumbsup:
The hot start on my V350-Pro is so hot I can't go past 7.0. For tacking open root I have to have it down to about 5.0, or I'll blow holes.:eek:

/ Stick on a TIG machine

If it makes you feel better, you can probably sell the V350, buy a PA-300, and have a few bills left over.

/ Stick on a TIG machine #20  
joshuabardwell said:
Since stick and TIG are both CV (Edit: CC) processes, many (most? all?) TIG welders also say they support stick. But is there typically a difference in arc quality between a dedicated stick welder and a TIG welder that also does stick? I know one potential difference is that some stick welders specifically are designed to run 6010, but other than that...
Look for a welder manual that shows the volt/amp charts.
While called a constant current machine, the current can vary somewhat as the arc length changes.
And thats a good thing. The dig or arc force controls can be used to change how much the current can vary.

On a tig machine, you want a very flat volt/amp curve. So if you had a machine made for tig only (or an inverter in tig mode) you might find stick welding difficult. A long arc would have almost as much current ad a short arc.

On older non electronic tig and stick machines, the way the transformer core is made and the placement of the windings determine the volt/amp curves.