Plasma cutter with pilot ir not?

/ Plasma cutter with pilot ir not? #1  

yarg

Silver Member
Tractor
L48 Kubota
Hi,
Lots of questions but this about a pilot being worth it or what advantages?
Everlasting p or no p
Thanks,
Gray

/ Plasma cutter with pilot ir not? #3  
I would not consider a unit without a pilot arc.
IF you are asking about our Everlast products (I gather from the word Everlasting), I would recommend the PowerPlasma 50 many times over the SuperCut 50 or the SC 50P. Better built, better technology.
It has pilot arc and it uses a torch that has consumables commonly available. No high frequency either...which is a good thing. The Supercuts use HF and it doesn't play nice with electronics.

/ Plasma cutter with pilot ir not? #4  
Pilot arc is a MUST if you are ever going to cut any sort of grating or expanded steel. My Hobart has it, and I would not consider one without it after having it!

/ Plasma cutter with pilot ir not?
I hope to do some light fabricating so I woukd guess a 50 amp should do?
Do these units need a pilot hole drilled to get a good point start?

3/8 " will be common thickness. I am also looking at a Makita cold cut chop saw for my 1/4 x2.5" angle iron and up to 7 x 3/8 flat also some 3" sch 80 pipe.
Thank you all for sharing.
Gray

/ Plasma cutter with pilot ir not? #6  
To OP...

A budget may help the members steer you in a certain direction/brand

500-800 for plasma
450 for cold cut saw
600-900 for mig,stick spool gun unit?

/ Plasma cutter with pilot ir not? #8  
I find the "consuables" get "consumed" at an expensive rate & grab the O/A most of the time, it may just be me but if I had a do over, I'd a spent that $1200/1400 bucks on something else. (Hypertherm 900 ? I think about 8/10 yes. ago) Now to be fair I do not have a fancy air dryer in my air sys.

Ok, so take the cold cut saw out and what should I expect to pay for a good 1/2" clean cut plasma and a spool gun with a 180 to 200 amp MTS unit?