Mig - stick - tig multi unit?

/ Mig - stick - tig multi unit? #1  

yarg

Silver Member
Tractor
L48 Kubota
Hello,
Another question:
Looking at maybe a multi function mig- stick- tig and would like to know how fast to change between?
Is a multi voltage unit worth it with up to 3/8" ?
What of the extra functions like burn back, other, are these user friendly?
AC or DC tig best?
Spool gun for mig aluminum or tig for such?

Thanks for your sharing,
Gray

/ Mig - stick - tig multi unit? #2  
Simple as switching the ground and hot lead on most units. Some are set up so you can have the spoolgun hooked up all the time and the lower cost ones you need to pull the mig gun and put in the spool gun. All in all none take more than a minute or 2. Extra features are easy to figure out too. All are DC Tig. If you want AC Tig for Aluminum, Buy an AC/DC unit. They are too getting very affordable. Good Luck !

/ Mig - stick - tig multi unit? #3  
With my multi function machine it is a matter of how fast you can spin the dial. As yomax4 says I have to plug in cables for the spool gun or wire feeder. But this takes no time at all.

Attachments

• New.JPG
    New.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 194
  • LF72 A.JPG
    LF72 A.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot-Menu.odt - LibreOffice Writer.png
    Screenshot-Menu.odt - LibreOffice Writer.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 140
   / Mig - stick - tig multi unit? #4  
AC is only going to be used for aluminum or magnesium welding. It's not a question which is best, but rather which is appropriate to do the job. I find customers are either going to be about 90% aluminum, or hardly ever aluminum...The hardly ever aluminum guys usually can get by with a spool gun on mig when they do run into it.

/ Mig - stick - tig multi unit?
I plan on some medium aluminum projects,,,,maybe the spool gun but mostly steel.
How good do spool guns work? I have never used one but when I do my aluminum, I would like to do up to 3/16 to 3/8 structural for a small boat?

I have a Lincoln 251 and a stick welder now but was thinking of having a dual voltage option and spool gun ready for convenience. I could get a spool gun for my mig but I am not sure i want to do too much changing over.

/ Mig - stick - tig multi unit? #6  
How good do spool guns work? I have never used one but when I do my aluminum, I would like to do up to 3/16 to 3/8 structural for a small boat?
When I first got my V350-Pro this is what I did on some 16-GA, and 3/8-inch aluminum.

Attachments

• corner joint.JPG
    corner joint.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 197
  • corner penetration.JPG
    corner penetration.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 5356 flat.JPG
    5356 flat.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 222
   / Mig - stick - tig multi unit?
What is a v350?

/ Mig - stick - tig multi unit? #8  
Today I bought and hooked up a TIG outfit on my Fabricator 181i. Very quick and easy, the hardest part is switching out the flowmeter. Did my first TIG welds in twenty years, actually quite easy in comparison to scratch starting off a Miller SRH 333 eons ago.

If this is the machine you are thinking of, I have nothing but good to say about it for a non-professional. It wouldn't last in a fab shop, but that is no fault of the machine

/ Mig - stick - tig multi unit? #10  
Wow, I feel like somebody who brought a knife to a gun fight