Vertical Hardsurface suggestions

/ Vertical Hardsurface suggestions #1  

pjbci

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4840, Deere 5075e, 450j, Cat D4k2, Kobelco 160, Volvo EC140el, deere 310, komatsu D31px22, IH 1486, MF 135, MHF TO35
I need to make a few vertical welds with some sort of hard surface or wear resistant rods. I want to be able to either stack up the welds or make a big fat bead. I only have an AC welder and vertical is the only position possible. Any suggestions on rods, amps, technique, etc will be greatly appreciated.

/ Vertical Hardsurface suggestions #2  
WOW! It's been years since I've done any vertical hard facing, but I seem to remember running it just like 7018. Close arc length, and a little side to side motion.

/ Vertical Hardsurface suggestions #3  
Can you get by with just a build up of standard rod or does it HAVE to be hard rod? If you can apply and reapply 7018 AC then that may be the best option.

The idea with hard rod is to get very little penetration and lay the bead on top of the area. That does not bode well for vertical. All of the rods I use are slow freeze so dripping or sagging is a real issue.

/ Vertical Hardsurface suggestions
I would like it to be hard but but laying on a thick layer of 7018 would probally be a lot easier. Thats what i did the last couple of times but was looking for a longer lasting weld. May try a little hard surface on top after i build it back up.

/ Vertical Hardsurface suggestions #5  
Stoody 19. Inexpensive, Most Welding Stores have it Runs AC or DC. More suited for Metal to Earth. If you want Metal to Metal Try 1102. You are on your own going out of position on AC but these will help.

Metal to earth is what i need. Will try it

/ Vertical Hardsurface suggestions #7  
build it back up with 7018, then add two layers of hardfacing. I like Lincoln ABR, but have not used it verticle.

Just an update. The guys at my welding shop didnt have any hardsurface rods that they would reccomend for vertical. They sold me some 7018 110k tensile rods. I was able to get my pos lincoln welder to switch to DC- wouldnt arc on DC+. Anyway i got good results with it. Thanks again for the info guys.

/ Vertical Hardsurface suggestions #9  
How can you have DC- and DC+ with an AC machine? I realize it switches back and forth but how the cables are hooked up shouldn't make any difference. Stoody 35 is another good general purpose hardfacing rod. With hardfacing it doesn't matter a whole lot what it looks like. You can use a dot pattern instead of beads too. A 110,000 PSI 7018 would be a 11018. You're better off just hardfacing in the first place. Look on Stoody's website. They might have the technique listed for vertical welding.

Its a lincoln ac/dc machine. Its junk! It has a 3 position switch. Both dc settings have not worked for years so i consider it ac only. Figured corrosion was the problem so i swithed it back an forth a bunch and it started workin in the dc- position. I know i could revere my cables but they are hooked up inside box and i didnt wanna swap em. Im happy with my results. As far as the 7018-110s are concerned i thought the same thing until i saw the box. Then had to show dad the box to get him to believe me. Ha.