Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help

/ Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help #31  
I may have used the wrong terminology but I've heard hertz referred to as frequency as well as cycles. I know a HF on a transformer is different than an inverter switching fast. My former neighbor was a pipeliner and was using a hz meter to adjust his new Lincoln diesel to try and get it to run 6010 as nice as his 57 short hood he sold with his old truck. He liked the 57 a lot better but was offered $5500 for it! It was rebuilt and a sweet machine. Inverters change a lot of what you think you knew about welding and welding machines. I wonder if the Dynasty 350's work better on stick than the Dynasty 300? I know Shield Arc and others that say the 300 is not very good as a stick welder but a fantastic TIG welder.

/ Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help #32  
No, the HF on an inverter can be the same as the HF on a transformer. The only difference is that the HF is only used on the start of the arc with an inverter. The transformer needs it all the time. If your neighbor is running a pipeliner, the only frequency he is adjusting is the output on the outlet, if it puts out AC to optimize his rpm and uses it as a gauge to determine all other things are running where they should be (which may or may not be reliable).

I've got a '58 in a perpetual unfinished state of rework. Thinking about swapping a PA 300 to SA to finish the job. lol.

/ Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help #33  
Arc weld said:
I may have used the wrong terminology but I've heard hertz referred to as frequency as well as cycles.
Yes, that's correct. Cycles per second and hertz (Hrz) are the same thing, a measurement of frequency.