Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help

/ Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
OK - so the wife let me pick up the Oxy and Mig set a few weeks ago. This week it became clear why. She approached me with two projects, on that will involve aluminum (thinner stuff) and a possible stainless steel build. Of course she is upset that with the purchase, I can't do Stainless or Aluminum without spending more money.

It is all above my head. I am still working on a decent bead with the mig, but I bought the whole system so one day I could move up to aluminum.

This is what I have, A lincoln 180C, a Lincoln ACDC tombstone, and an oxy acet system.

What I have sort of found out is that I can get a spoolgun (and will need a tank of argon) for my 180C and I can do aluminum, but it isn't pretty and only works on thicker material

I can get a TIG torch for the Tombstone, will work on thinner, Still need a tank. Not a clue on what to buy so if you guys have advice.

An then I saw this little torch, a DCH 2000, that claims to be able to produce the same results as above.

In pricing all this out, it seems each solution is at least $300, with the spoolgun going higher as it does not include the tank. At the end of the day, a TIG unit would be great, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon, unless of course I am allowed to build some open frame race car which we all know can't won't happen.

I would love your thoughts on each of the above systems. And for someone who the word novice seems appropriate.

Carl

/ Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help #2  
How thin of aluminum do you plan on welding? With 130-amps, 1/8-inch thick aluminum is about the thickest you'll go, but how thin is the question. Far as the stainless steel, buy a gas cooled scratch start Tig rig.

The thinest aluminum I have around is 16-GA I didn't have much trouble with my spool gun. If you can do your aluminum projects with a spool gun, and your stainless projects with a Tig rig, then all you'll need is a bottle of 100% argon.

Attachments

• corner joint.JPG
    corner joint.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 525
  • corner penetration.JPG
    corner penetration.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 275
   / Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help #3  
Listen to shield arc, he speaks the truth.

/ Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help #4  
here is an example of one of a thousand places to buy your 17V (the V means Valve.. or Manual valve) Tig torch kit.

WP 17V 12R 12 Foot Gasvalve 150Amp Air Cooled TIG Welding Torch Complete Package | eBay

here is a place to get a good servicable Regulator:

HTP Argon CO2 MIG TIG Flow Meter Regulator Welding Weld | eBay

Get your Argon cylinder (at least an 80 CU Ft.) locally

Get some Lanthanated or Ceriated tungstens 1/16 is a good size to start with

10 HTP 2 Lanthanated Tungsten TIG Electrodes 1 16 x 7 Blue | eBay

Now you are set up with your Lincoln to scratch start TIG.. Carbon steel and Stainless steel rod will round out your kit.. for starters.

The 17V torch has a manual valve.. You open the valve. and set your flow rate on the regulator. Be sure to close the valve after finishing the weld, and be sure to open it before starting the next one. If you don't you will figure it out real quick:shocked: Good luck

James K0UA

/ Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help #5  
Learning how to MIG weld by working with aluminum wouldn't be my first choice.

A TIG is easier to get great results as you can go any speed you choose. It is also a more precise method.

tig.jpg

/ Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help #9  
IMO mig rigs and spool guns are the hot glue guns of welding.
If you want to get GOOD at TIG, first MASTER Oxy/acteylene welding (on steel).
Chase the puddle, feed wire into it with the other hand, etc.

Do a bit of brazing too.

/ Tig / Mig / Aluminum / Stainless help #10  
IMO mig rigs and spool guns are the hot glue guns of welding.
If you want to get GOOD at TIG, first MASTER Oxy/acteylene welding (on steel).
Chase the puddle, feed wire into it with the other hand, etc.

Do a bit of brazing too.

I agree and disagree with this. One of the best things I ever did for my welding was to take a TIG class. Having that much control over the puddle and really seeing what was going on, improved all of my welding including stick and MIG.

Brian