Tig or Mig for home hobby shop

/ Tig or Mig for home hobby shop #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
Just wondering the pro's and con's of each as would like both but that is out of the question right now. Have lots done of welding over the years os I don't think skill should be a problem, and speed don't matter much at home. Have not done much welding in the last 20 years so kind of out of date as well. Have made a TPH for a PTO generator, and am making a ballast for the back of my tractor now. Have a little 110 stick welder and want to upgrade. Thanks Ed.

/ Tig or Mig for home hobby shop #2  
Sounds like mig might be the way to go. A little blue unit should do you fine. I got 3 mig welders and all 3 are loaded different. My goto unit is a Lincoln 175 loaded with er-70s, no gas. Welds thick metals and can weld in any enviroment. My mm251 and 12vs get used primarily for the heavy fab jobs. Tig is time consuming and the materials super clean. Gas is mandatory and consumables can get costly with different cups, gas lenses, tungsten. But a stack of dimes layed down by a good tighand can't be beat. The mig is more versatile, but get the spool gun option if available.
Look into the millermatic series, a small 240vac unit should do you just fine.

/ Tig or Mig for home hobby shop #3  
I went for years with nothing but a buzz box stick welder, and a Tig rig.

/ Tig or Mig for home hobby shop #4  
IMG_20121117_165336_859.jpgIMG_20121117_165303_772.jpgPicture 015.jpgPicture 007.jpg17V torch.jpg

here is mine, a little PA160 by Everlast.. I stick weld with it up to 160 amps with a 60% duty cycle. ( I have never used above 140 though). and I TIG weld with it with a 17V torch and regulator and argon cylinder. Stick for the big stuff, and TIG for the little/thin stuff.

James K0UA

/ Tig or Mig for home hobby shop
I went for years with nothing but a buzz box stick welder, and a Tig rig.

I am kind of leaning in that direction but I know MIG has changed a lot after I quit welding for a living.

/ Tig or Mig for home hobby shop #7  
Really it just gets down to the only reason for Mig, is speed. Get a good stick welder, and a Tig rig you should be set. Unless your planning on doing some aluminum work. The things these new inverter welders can do with the puddle is amazing! I'd pitch that 110-volt welder, and get a 220-volt welder. My Everlast PA-200 is very impressive! I wish I would have waited until the PA-300 came out. If I needed another welder the PA-300 would be in my sights. I should take an inventory and see if I need another welder!:laughing:

/ Tig or Mig for home hobby shop
Got to keep the 110 it was a Christmas present from my wife.

/ Tig or Mig for home hobby shop #9  
if speed is not a issue then ac/dc tig is the way to go...but I sure do miss my mig for quick tack up work. sure stick can weld dirty metal...but nothing a wire wheel wont clean up. the trade off is keep rods fresh and dry or keeping a tank of argon on hand. I needed ac for aluminun so for me it was a pretty easy choice. Pretty sure I would still have come out better with a tig machine over a stick machine. From what I have seen stick is not so good and working on thinner stuff.

/ Tig or Mig for home hobby shop #10  
How does that work out.

it's the only welder in my shop that stays hooked up other than my synchrowave. I use it for all the small jobs and quick jobs, but have also welded some brackets for a mechanical thumb using it, along with tons of trailer work. i'm a cheapskate and hate turning on gas to make a 3" weld, alot of lost gas if you turning gas off and on.