Bandsaws---what type?

/ Bandsaws---what type?
What I know for sure is that my abrasive chop saw will not be my major cut off tool any more! After my first big project, I will not do that sny more.
If a band saw does all and more than a dry saw, I may put more into the band saw. I am concerned about speed, I am sure it would not be as fast as a dry saw?
About 1000 if both saws and up to 1400 if just a band saw?
Gray

/ Bandsaws---what type? #12  
One thing nice about a bandsaw is you can start the cut and walk away. Not far away but away. I have a cheap Chinese bandsaw I got that is probably 25-28 years old. It does what I want which is cut metal without a lot of dust, sparks and noise. It is not quiet but it is less loud than an abrasive cut off saw. I would lust after a wet bandsaw if I were a fabricator but the dry one works for the occasional barn door build or other simple 20 cuts project. If I need to do a big project I drive off to my friend's shop that has bigger everything.

/ Bandsaws---what type? #13  
80 tons SA? Just what the heck are you fabricating over there?

/ Bandsaws---what type?
What is a roll in saw?

Just googles roll saw and know now.
I also looked at some reviews and they are not fond of the jet,dake.

The enco is ok? The grizzly I have not heard about?
Still no idea of speed vs a cold cut saw?
Can one do a lot mire than the other?
Gray

Last edited:
   / Bandsaws---what type? #15  
80 tons SA? Just what the heck are you fabricating over there?
That was two spreader bars for setting precast concrete utility vaults for the Pier D aircraft carrier pier at PSNS. I had to cut and splice that beam so I could keep the decals in place. That crane is engineered for only 2-tons max.

/ Bandsaws---what type?
Is this HF the same machine as the Enco? It looks very much alike.
If the motors, and contols are also the same then the HF sells for less.
Thanks for the heads up,

The Grizzly is about the same cost for a 6x9.5 with shipping. Anyone know about this machine?
Gray

/ Bandsaws---what type? #18  
That was two spreader bars for setting precast concrete utility vaults for the Pier D aircraft carrier pier at PSNS. I had to cut and splice that beam so I could keep the decals in place. That crane is engineered for only 2-tons max.

I somewhat figured, didn't look quite up to 80ton capability but I have to say you have all the cool toys!

Chris.

/ Bandsaws---what type? #19  
What is a roll in saw?

Just googles roll saw and know now. I also looked at some reviews and they are not fond of the jet,dake.

The enco is ok? The grizzly I have not heard about? Still no idea of speed vs a cold cut saw? Can one do a lot mire than the other? Gray

A roll in is semiauto so you just set the feed rate with the counterbalance and gravity does the rest. I added a switch so it cuts off when finished with the cut.;

It has an offset blade like a horizontal so you can cut any length, unlike most vertical bandsaws.

Remove the clamp and miter part and you can use it just like a vertical bandsaw.

I have never used any other brand but did pick up my last one for $500 on Craigslist.

There is as much difference between "coldsaw" as there are between "bandsaw". You can get coldsaws that are just slower versions of the normal chopsaws (like the little dewalt) up to large 3ph full auto versions that cost $20k+. One thing cold saws have in common with each other are that the blades cost a lot more than bands.

/ Bandsaws---what type? #20  
I finally got a small HF clone bandsaw. 4x6, I think. Used for $100.
It started throwing blades. I shimmed the rear rollers, and it seems to be ok now.
Now I wonder how I ever lived without it.

It cuts dry. It takes a couple of minutes for a cut, but I'm normally doing enough other things that I can wait.

There are a couple of carbide metal cutting chopsaws that look very sweet, but a bit expensive. But, no doubt they would be a useful cutting tool.

As far as the rollers, my saw came with a very cheap roller from HF... pretty junky, but certainly useful.

I picked up a couple of boat trailer bow & keel rollers from the local recycling store, and was going to make them into a roller as I was having lots of problems with the pipe that I was cutting earlier not staying put.