Bandsaws---what type?

/ Bandsaws---what type?
Sounds like a Band saw is sweet for many things but slow. This is OK if you have other items to deal with while waiting? I would guess one could get used to doing things in this manner.
The cols saw looks to be fast but you have to get the right blade for long lasting quality results. There are a number of negative reviews on the blades on some of these saws but when they work, they are very good.
I guess, the lesson is that there is no one type of cutter for good all around needs. Many will do some things well and others not so much.

Now it looks like my budget will have to grow for all the right things in the shop?
Band saw-1000
Plasma cutter-900
Dry saw-450
multi process mig, tig stick welder-800
Spool gun for aluminum-250
Tank of argon-180

I have the Lincoln 251 mig for general steel needs.
Maybe 6000 in supplies and I am all set to do something?:)

I get the role saw info.. Makes sense but I do not need that cost and would not know what to pick up used if anything.

Gray

/ Bandsaws---what type? #22  
I picked up a old (1985) Greenlee model 348 (which looks like this Telmac, i think greenlee actually bought them out years ago) at a local auction for $200. Cleaned it up and found some blades online and checked it for square and I'm set. It's a dry saw with 1hp and four speeds. The blade can be tilted left to 15, 22.5 30, and 45 deg. And you can pivot the fence to any angle you want so you can do compound cuts.

BandSaw1.jpg

This is my saw below. Same saw just viewed from the other side.

17802d1361835942-imag1238.jpg

So for,less than $300 I have a metal cutting bandsaw that will cut up to 8" pipe. Might not be new and shiney but it works just fine and for the amount of use I will give it it will go another 25 years I think which will be more than I need.

You can also disconnect the hydraulic ram which controls the cut speed and stand it up and with the opitonal table have a vertical saw (of sorts).

IMAG1247.jpg

I'm looking for a copy of the operators manual if anyone has one. I have an active search on eBay but no hits so far.

Last edited:
   / Bandsaws---what type? #23  
To respond to the question on Grizzly tools - I've used their woodworking machines (actually own several of them) and am assuming :)eek:) their metal working tools are equivalent. They are much much better than HF tools. They are made in Taiwan with US oversight. I would rate them in the middle as far a quality goes. For a homeowner, they are affordable and will last the homeowner's lifetime and are capable of better precision than most homeowners are capable of. I am aware of some commercial woodworking shops that use them as well. However, if I were a professional I would look at other brands if I were going to use it forever and needed lots of precision. Having said that, the owner of Grizzly says he uses their machines to make competition rifle barrels and has won several long distance matches - so, not sure what to think about the precision of the machines. The company does try very hard to keep their customers happy when a problem arises.

/ Bandsaws---what type? #24  
Sounds like band saws are sweet for many things but slow.

Depends on what you are cutting and what saws you are choosing to compair.

Blade diameter is the limiting factor with a cold saw, blade length is with a band.

For instance, you could sit there and move a few sections of tubing with many operations and measure each cut with a manual cold saw for a long time to cut as much material as a good band saw can cut in one pass.

This one is not even half full and will cut and auto feed to the next cut quicker than you can debur and weld the first cut, in this example 1x1box tube, 20 cuts per one push of a button.

310263d1364440606-metal-cutting-imag1283.jpg

You would need a very, very large cold saw to make a cut like that.

/ Bandsaws---what type?
TTR,
Thank you for your note. I have a great deal of woodworking experience withna few of their machines but none with their metal working machines. I was not aware of their ties to the factories and oversight. It may be in their cataluoges but it has been years sense I saw one, back when I was teaching woodworking and cabinetmaking.
Only recently I have found enjoyment in metal fabrication and am expanding my meager welding and cutting equipment. I have done a few small projects then applied my background in teaching " shop" to building a water well drilling rig and that has me looking at more challenges:).
I may retire for the second time and will need a hobby other than construction and this one keeps my attention.
Thanks again,
Gray

/ Bandsaws---what type? #26  
My bandsaw is a 6x10 from Northern Tools that's pretty much the same saw as the Grizzly 6.5 x 9.5. Got it on sale a few years ago for less than $300. I get good service out of it. Stripped the lowest gear in the gearbox during the first year and they replaced the saw under warranty. That gear in the gearbox is pretty wimpy so now I normally run in the middle gear. Northern no longer carries that model. The 85" blade is harder to find than the blade for the 7x12 saws - I can still order them from Northern. The belt drive models are probably more reliable.

I would recommend a 7x12 if only because it's so much more common and you should always be able to find blades and parts.

/ Bandsaws---what type?
Depends on what you are cutting and what saws you are choosing to compair.

Blade diameter is the limiting factor with a cold saw, blade length is with a band.

For instance, you could sit there and move a few sections of tubing with many operations and measure each cut with a manual cold saw for a long time to cut as much material as a good band saw can cut in one pass.

This one is not even half full and will cut and auto feed to the next cut quicker than you can debur and weld the first cut, in this example 1x1box tube, 20 cuts per one push of a button.

310263d1364440606-metal-cutting-imag1283.jpg

You would need a very, very large cold saw to make a cut like that.

Yes, gang cutting is a good thing if you have multipule production needs but I am for the most part a one off person. R and D things, special projects.
I do like the band saw as a quite and steady cool accurate machine, I was just trying to get a take on how fast it really cuts.
In woodworking you get used to speed:) It is tough to slow down even when one should.
I am leaning towards Grizzly or Enco? Not so sure of Jet even though some have said good things and they are running sales on them for a while at many outlets.

Gray

/ Bandsaws---what type? #28  
If you are into one off, I promise that a roll in will be your best, most versatile friend. 1/8"-3/4" blades from 75 fpm to 500 fpm. It does the work of many different machines.

/ Bandsaws---what type? #29  
Speed is having a machine matched to the job. Versatility is having a machine that can do many jobs.

Being a wood worker you can relate to the fact that a radial arm saw can cut 2x10's quick, a table saw can cut 10" off a 4x8 and a scroll saw can cut a 7/32" radius. A Roll In can do all of that in metal, not better than other tools but better than any ONE tool.

/ Bandsaws---what type? #30  
One thing to remember with a bandsaw is you have to break a new blade in or it will wear out prematurely. Slow the feed rate to about half for the first few cuts. A good blade and the right coolant makes a big difference. If you break a blade, see if there's a bulk blade dealer in your area. They can be welded back together with a blade welder. Shops don't usually have blade welders because they can easily cost over $100,000.:shocked: I worked a few months at a blade distributor and welded lots of blades. They had a water cooled Ideal blade welder/annealer and blade grinder.