Bandsaws---what type?

/ Bandsaws---what type? #1  

yarg

Silver Member
Tractor
L48 Kubota
I have been looking at many options for cutting. I will get a dry cut saw, a plasma cutter but I have been also thinking of a band saw to round out all my needs. I have seen there are wet, dry, horizontal, vertical convertable and swivel head types.
I am sure I will need an 8" throat but now comes the value options.
Wet or dry?
Convertible would be nuke but is it that functional?
Horizontal for sure.
Not convinced a swivel head would be needed.
How fast do they cut?
Would it be a waist of time to get a dry cut if I get a nice band saw?
As always, more questions may come up but any information from those who have experience would be helpful.
Thanks,
Gray

/ Bandsaws---what type? #2  
I have a Milwalkie porta-band, it's 30+ y.o. and works great for many cutting jobs but it sounds like you're talking about a stationary saw. Got one of them too and it is a great tool as well. I'd go with the "wet" saw, mine is not but I have no trouble just keeping the cut and guide wheels wet with some wd40 or the like. It does have a good 3" deep pan to add a coolant pump, but in 20 or so years, I just have not gotten around to it. As for the vertical, I would not bother, I have another saw (dedicated vertical) and just do not use it. I am not familiar with the "swevel head" feature. You might start with the porta-band saw first while your looking for a good deal on a nice commercial horiz machine.

/ Bandsaws---what type? #3  
To digress for a second, I also have an ancient Milwaukee portaband, and it is the handiest of all the metal working tools that I have, next to my Evolution chop saw. I buy bands at Home Depot, where I can get two Milwaukee blades for less than one at Northern Tool. I love the thing. And, unless you are a total goober, you can cut very safely with it.

/ Bandsaws---what type?
It would be a stationary one as that would be 99% of my work, in shop clean accurate cuts.
Vertical is not used much? If the unit, like a Jet I saw can convert to vertical, that may allow for the ocational odd shape?
Wet saw seamed to be the right choice. The only one I ever used was in our HS welding shop and was a wet type.
It seamed to cut very slow but maybe it was the saw,blade ,or settings?
More info the better.
Thanks ,
Gray

/ Bandsaws---what type? #5  

Attachments

• Thin cut 1.jpg
    Thin cut 1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 140
  • thin cut 2.jpg
    thin cut 2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 149
   / Bandsaws---what type?
Shield arc,
Do you know annoying about the Grizzly? It's a bit smaller but has the vertical option.
The enco is a belt change speed? Any more info on that one would appreciated as well.
Gray

/ Bandsaws---what type? #7  
Never seen a Grizzly saw, I just added the link for a comparison. I do have a Grizzly Mil.
The ENCO saw will go vertical too. I always set my metal working tools to the slowest speed and leave them there.

/ Bandsaws---what type? #8  
I don't know your budget but I saw a saw last week that will cut just about anything. It had a 2 1/2" blade and 43.3" capacity.:shocked: It was brand new but I didn't ask the price. :eek: A swivel head saw is great feature to have. If you have roller stands or even just saw horses to hold long lengths, you don't have to move your feed table when you do angle cuts. The swivel head also has the degrees marked for more accurate cuts and odd angles.

/ Bandsaws---what type? #9  
Roller stands are only the start, you also need one of these.:D

Attachments

• assortment.jpg
    assortment.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 177
  • assortment 2.jpg
    assortment 2.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 158
  • V stands.JPG
    V stands.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 192