when only the finest welding will do...

/ when only the finest welding will do... #11  
I live in a county with a Navy submarine base, and Navy shipyard. Some of the best weldors on the planet are right here. Years ago I had to take a stainless steel pipe Tig welding class. The teacher was what they call a P1 weldor in the shipyard. I seem to remember that stood for high pressure weldor. He was telling me the Thresher accident turned the Navy welding program on it's ear!

/ when only the finest welding will do... #12  
Argon is heavier than air and it's not uncommon for welders in confined spaces using it to stand on their heads to let it drain out. Someone told about it a long time ago. I think it was 1/2 an hour upside down after 4 hours of welding or something like that.

/ when only the finest welding will do... #13  
When I was a young pup there was an article in the paper featuring a welder retiring from the spacecraft construction program at Martin Marietta. He was being honored for having run 29 miles of flawless TIG welds.....:eek:

/ when only the finest welding will do... #14  
As to the question of what do you do when you find an inclusion after x-ray testing, you cut it out and try again or toss the part.

It depends on how much time you have in the part or how much its worth. You get to the end of a project like this little 30 million BTU burner there is just too much time involved to scrap the entire part.

IMAG0126.jpg

/ when only the finest welding will do... #15  
Argon is heavier than air and it's not uncommon for welders in confined spaces using it to stand on their heads to let it drain out. Someone told about it a long time ago. I think it was 1/2 an hour upside down after 4 hours of welding or something like that.

OK.. well here we go..In my opinion.. this is a total myth, and is what is known as a factoid. A fact that "everyone knows" and is totally untrue.. Here is why I think it is untrue. The air we breath is 1% argon, and if it was going to "pool" over a period of time you lungs would fill up with argon, and you would be dead. Now if you breath in 100% argon, like in a confined space, and have no fresh oxygen 20% air to breath in to clear out this argon, then you are going to die pretty quick. But if you breathe in argon, and the next breath is air with oxygen in it.. you are going to dilute the argon in your lungs in a couple of inhales and exhales really quickly also. You are not going to need to hang upside down like a monkey for any period of time. Argon and oxygen readily mix along with the nitrogen, xenon, and CO2 that is in air you breath every day. Personally I think the "go stand on your head to get the argon out of your lungs" is along the same line of BS as bring me a bucket of grinder sparks, or a radiator cap for a Volkswagen beetle, or a muffler bearing. In telephony you send an apprentice back to the Central Office to get a replacement box of "dial tone" So if you disagree please don't be offended, as I have no ill intent, but I am calling BS on the upside down argon clearing procedure. Not to discount the dangers of breathing heavier than air gases in a confined space, because that danger is real, as many dead people can testify to. Flame on!

James K0UA

/ when only the finest welding will do... #16  
By the same logic, we would all have nitrogen and co2 pooling in our lungs. Besides, the turbulance of a few fast deep breaths would clear any gas out, even a super heavy gas such as xenon.

/ when only the finest welding will do...
this little 30 million BTU burner

serious little marshmallow cooker you have there.
It would sure heat my garage, but I also think it could put a satellite in orbit on full blast.
Is that for creating process steam or melting metal?

it must be a very unhappy occasion when you get to the end of a custom project like that, and you
can't fix the problem without creating worse problems like overheating .

/ when only the finest welding will do... #18  
I guess that's why engineers get paid the big bucks? ... to come up with outrageous and unreasonable solutions, without any true knowledge of the consequences of the application of their intellect.

/ when only the finest welding will do...
I guess that's why engineers get paid the big bucks? ... to come up with outrageous and unreasonable solutions, without any true knowledge of the consequences of the application of their intellect.

Product engineers must all be required to weld. :thumbsup: That would solve it. or not.
In the final analysis, you have to build it and be able to repair it in most cases.
Which means you have to "get in there" one way or the other.

I cursed the boat engineers at Bertram who in stick building my old fiberglass boat interior buried all kinds of important things under
places you couldn't get to and didn't provide access or inspection ports. For example, I had to tear down the entire inner wall in the salon
because the steering and clutch cables from the upper station had been routed through that area, using compression fittings that gripped the cables
like crazy. No way to pull anything through, and as I wrecked the wall I had just freshly wallpapered, the age
old question "what were they thinking" repeatedly came to mind.

It's hard for me to imagine how one can weld in tight or too small areas. How does one hold a rod at the right angle when the whole thing won't fit in there...?
I'm sure there's a million tricks of the pro welder trade, but since I know none of them, well, I'm all ears.
I'll guess number one. Cut the rod shorter...

/ when only the finest welding will do... #20  
this little 30 million BTU burner

serious little marshmallow cooker you have there.
It would sure heat my garage, but I also think it could put a satellite in orbit on full blast.
Is that for creating process steam or melting metal?

it must be a very unhappy occasion when you get to the end of a custom project like that, and you
can't fix the problem without creating worse problems like overheating .

It's a hydrogen/NG burner for a power plant.