Check this guy out.

/ Check this guy out. #2  
I think he does these videos just for a reaction:scratchchin:. He goes by Thorton on Welding Web. He has quite the collection of Lincoln SA-200s:cool:. Yes that kid is an amazing weldor, for any age. He's a better weldor asleep, than I' am on my best day!

/ Check this guy out. #3  
   / Check this guy out.
Hey Scoob! That guy has to be a Canadian!:laughing: Wow!

Oh yeah.. he's Canadian.. Works out in Alberta (oil patch) as far as I know.

/ Check this guy out.
I think he does these videos just for a reaction:scratchchin:. He goes by Thorton on Welding Web. He has quite the collection of Lincoln SA-200s:cool:. Yes that kid is an amazing weldor, for any age. He's a better weldor asleep, than I' am on my best day!

Oh yeah.. for a reaction for sure, But I still think hes a little bit off;) Like something out of Fear and Loathing

He's got a huge collection of old Lincolns. He did a head to head test of them in a vid. I think hes got like 10?

He's actually quite serious in some of his vids. He's got an open root Inconel/Hasteloy video up that's pretty informative.. He also mentioned he got 3' of 6" Hasteloy on order for practice. $3500, I believe! That's taking your craft pretty serious;)

Being an electrician, the "hulk hogan dating tips" vid however cracked me up royally! (Language) His rant on the price of Lincoln service parts was pretty decent too.

/ Check this guy out. #6  
Hey Scoob, how's the certification process work there? All the cards are certifications?

/ Check this guy out.
Hey Scoob, how's the certification process work there? All the cards are certifications?
Yes, all those cards were certs. Looks almost as thick as a deck of cards lol. He's got a bunch for sure

Im not a welder by profession so Im not sure 100% on that specific trade, plus Im in a different province and each province has some unique differences, but are generally the same although the oil/gas industry has a few quirks of its own. The respective provincial governments are trying to streamline these things, specifically training and transfer of hours but you know how slow government can be.. He's a journeyman (interprovincial), so he has to have 8000 hrs hands on. That 8000 is broken up into blocks with a training period and exam after each smaller block of hours. Usually its 4 blocks to get to your journeymans.

Then he has his certs for specific processes, positions and materials etc.. Titanium, for example. B pressure is another example. A specific job will require the welder to have the proper cert for the job at hand. And they can be $$$, he mentioned his Ti course was something like $3500? for a few days training or so. Then there are other safety certs like H2S, WHMIS, fall arrest etc.etc..If you dont have the right certs, you can't get the job.

Last edited:
   / Check this guy out. #8  
From Alberta? You don't say...

You need about 1800 hr's for each year of the 3 year apprenticeship. Then you go for technical training for 8 weeks between the hours. You can do your technical training before you have your hours if your previous marks were good. If you took welding in school or worked in the trade for a while, the number of hours can be reduced and you may even be able to challenge some of your apprenticeship. Once you get your journeyman ticket, you can test for your B pressure ticket. Pretty much all the exotic metals are pressure tickets. You need a separate ticket for every different type of material and these have to be renewed every 2 years. However anytime you go to a new job, you usually have to do a job test for that company. Just for carbon steel, you can have a handful of tickets. Small bore, heavy wall, all position, low temp, 6010 root, Mig Root, TIG root, flux-core, etc. Sometimes the tickets can be combined and one test can give you more than one ticket. Lots of really good pressure welders in Alberta and quite a few crazy ones as well.:D

/ Check this guy out.
Bday ^ There's an answer straight from the horses mouth as it were!

Thanks for the clarification Arc Weld