Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota L3400, Farmall 'A', Farmall F-14, Ford 860, JD 4520

Default Re: Pin to bushing clearance?

Some good answers guys. One thing that I didnt think of was the tubing being oval and the distortions during welding. There would be 3 pieces of DOM per pivot, one about 3 to 4in long plus 2 on the outside roughly 3/4in long with one of those drilled for the pin retainer. Its pretty tough to align all three up with each other during welding. The thought was to weld up one complete pivot section and then run a reamer through all 3 pieces. It would be nice to have a reamer thats a bit bigger then 1in that has a entry taper for the first inch to start it with the rest of it being the finish side. I have a bunch of pins that mic to exactly 1in but the DOM is a tiny bit smaller. I see some adjustable reamers on ebay so might pick one up to try. So, is there such a thing as a flap wheel that a person can run inside of pipe/DOM? I'll have to investigate that as well. Thanks for the answers.
    Steve

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

An option is to weld a single piece of tubing in place of the opposing bushings, the cut out the middle. Guarantees alignment between the two sides.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST

If I understand your project, you don't need to "line-ream" all three bushings simultaneously. If you get the two outside bushings coaxial, the inside component will fit unless it has almost no width clearance.

Reamers tend to follow the hole. (as opposed to boring bars that cut in the direction you point them.). Nobody every tries to line-ream an engine. They always line-bore it. So in your case, the reamer direction is established by the first outside bushing and most certainly will be off axis with the other outside bushing after traveling 4 inches.

What has worked for me on getting the two outside bushings somewhat coaxial was to hold the two outside bushings in place, pre-weld, with the eventual pin and the thickest shim stock I could wrap completely around the pin, and still assemble with the outside bushings. This keeps the two bushings more or less concentric with the pin while you weld them in place. In my case, everything fit together smoothly before welding but I had to hammer the pin out after welding. Still, upon reassembly without the temporary shim stock, everything assembled nicely. So whatever distortion occurred while welding was less than the shim stock thickness.

Tractor
    NH T-1520 HST, JD 5210 2WD, Terramite T5C

Steel shop guy tells me 'stress-proof' is all the rage these days for pins. Supposedly, forming imparts a surface hardness that extends wear life. It definitely tools well on the lathe, could be turned down a few thou for clearance IF .. bushings are aligned right to begin with. Don't remove too much stock from bushings. High spots caused by distortion will wear down first once you er .. tap things together. (Gotta be some room for grease to flow evenly till 'broke in.')

btw: IIRC, my supplier says 'stress-proof' doesn't weld nearly as well as it machines. Dunno. I make lotsa chips in the shop, but I'm too old & shaky to weld.

Silver Member
    Tractor

Ah, some more answers, bring them on. I have a leftover piece of DOM that I just measured. Turns out that its actually 0.995in on the inside and the pins are dead on 1.000in. I think that JMC is correct that I really dont need to ream through 3 pieces at once, just the outside ones. The idea of the shim stock and/or welding a length of bushing/DOM and then cutting out the center section are 2 more conciderations. Now about the "stress-proof" pin stock? I haven't heard of that before and will have to check around on that. I do have a old Sears (Atlas) 12x24 lathe to make pins with if need be. I found an interesting reamer today that measures 1.004in and is used for Ford king pins. The reamer section of it is pretty much in the center with with a nice straight section on both sides of it. Im waiting for a responce from him with more info. I'll let you guys know what I found out.
    steve

Tractor
    NH T-1520 HST, JD 5210 2WD, Terramite T5C

You could ream to whatever size tool you have after welding and turn down a larger round on the Atlas to achieve your preferred clearance, er .. depending on how that 'alignment thingie' works out. (ream by hand. also, welding heat may harden bushing mat'l, and unevenly...) Your clearance will allow for a smidge of misalignment, and not much, but I wouldn't necessarily count on a 1 pc bushing to hold perfect alignment at both ends after welding and cutting the center out, either. Span, the weld, and bushing thickness may 'make or break' that worry. btw: that piloted reamer sounds like a sweetie-pie.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200

I have built a loader and a backhoe. I go to my local hydraulics place and buy their Pins and Cross tubes. One inch pins fit fine. It might be a little more expensive then just a piece of DOM tubing but by the time you buy a reamer you will not be further ahead. If buying DOM tubing is the route you want to take, why not buy much larger and add brass bushing. Here is a picture of a bucket I am making. I used one inch cross tubes cut down as needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bucket-build-4-jpg  
    Unimogdave

Platinum Member
    Tractor

I will also add that I have never noticed the effects of tube warpage and they glow red when I am welding them. Pins continue to slide easily. Just remember to have a pin handy so that everything is lined up before welding.
    Unimogdave

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Note, 4.5 inch long, 1 inch ID cross tube cost $7.99 so I used less then $16 on my bucket, so you will not be saving much using DOM tubing and reaming it.
    Unimogdave

Silver Member
    Tractor

David, you have my attention. Can you tell me what the wall thickness is on the cross tubes? Looking at your bucket, they appear to be about 1/4" which is about the size on a factory bucket. Sorry, but I have not heard of "Cross tubes" before. What are they and what were they designed for? When you built your backhoe, were you able to use these in the center pivot position as well? I dont recall that DOM was cheap to buy but thats what I was able to come up with at the time that I built my quick attach. Inquiring minds need to know (and I'm sure that I'm not the only one)
    Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast