Hitch mounted vise ?????

/ Hitch mounted vise ????? #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I need something like a hitch mounted vise. Does anyone have pictures of anything they have purchased or fabricated? thanks

/ Hitch mounted vise ????? #3  
Here's mine. Made from scrap 2x2x3/16 square tubing and a vise I got used.

Attachments

• P4250578.jpg
    P4250578.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 2,532
   / Hitch mounted vise ????? #4  
Here's mine

Attachments

• image-1824926247.jpg
    image-1824926247.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 702
  • image-2262575410.jpg
    image-2262575410.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 315
  • image-2489704982.jpg
    image-2489704982.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 483
   / Hitch mounted vise ????? #5  
I've done this before using 2x2 hitch receiver stock. The only problem is there tends to be a lot of wobble when using the vise. Suggest you find a way to shim or buy one of those anti-rattle hitch pins that expand in the receiver hole.

/ Hitch mounted vise ????? #6  
I have one almost the same as ericher's so no point in posting a photo of it.

However I also made one that fits into the side of the flat bed at the farm at a much better height to work from.

The mount has 5/8 holes in all sides so you can take it out and turn it 90 degrees to hold a lot of different things without needing a swivel vice. I also drilled and tapped the reciever so I can jam the bolt down, taking out any slop.

Attachments

• IMAG1372.jpg
    IMAG1372.jpg
    957.3 KB · Views: 1,336
   / Hitch mounted vise ????? #7  
I've done this before using 2x2 hitch receiver stock. The only problem is there tends to be a lot of wobble when using the vise. Suggest you find a way to shim or buy one of those anti-rattle hitch pins that expand in the receiver hole.

Weld a nut inside the 2x2 tube and use a bolt instead of a hitch pin.

Bruce

/ Hitch mounted vise ????? #8  
I don't have any photos of it but I have a pretty trick hitch receiver vise set up. First thing is my benders and pipe vises are set up for the receivers because I have receivers on some of my welding tables too. Also the truck bed had receivers built in at the back corners.

I welded a six sided female piece for augers to a solid piece of two inch bar stock. I welded a piece of matching six sided two inch bar stock to the base of the vise. This not only allows me to use the receivers but it also gives me six positions for the vise.

/ Hitch mounted vise ????? #9  
This is the one I built. I made it long so I'm not banging into the vehicle.001_1.JPG

/ Hitch mounted vise ????? #10  
You have a loose receiver hitch that rattles around? Both my new GMC and my neighbors Ford ecoboost F150 have loose receivers. I don't remember them being that loose years ago either. So, I made a shim out of a old license plate for both of our trucks. I use tin snips to cut a 3 5/16" wide piece (full height of plate) from the license plate. Then I use a vise to flatten it. I then bend it at the half way point trying to have a small radius at the corner. Then I put the piece in the press and REALLY make the aluminum flat as my vise only got it close. So, you end up with a angle shim that takes up most of the slop. Put the shim in in place with you hitch in place, get the shim where you want it, then, cross drill with a 5/8 drill.pontoon 2 008_1.JPG