Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at

/ Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at #1  

jobguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT120
Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV
Is this a good buy at $299?
Thanks

/ Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at #2  
i tried to find one for a long time before i settled on my hobart 235xlAC model.

for your price range you are looking in.. i'd go with either the hobart or the lincoln arc welders. they are both at northern tools along with that CH welder you referenced.. and the hobart is the same prece. the lincoln is 40$ more.

FREE SHIPPING — Hobart Stickmate 205AC 230V Arc Welder/Stick Welder — 205 Amp Output, Model# 500502 | Arc Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment

Lincoln Electric AC-225 230V Stick Welder — 225 Amp Output, Model# K1170 | Arc Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment

I love my hobart. I have a lincoln at work to play on. both burn rods.

now.. if you just need cheap, cheap rod buring.. and are looking at that type of machine and cost.. then why not the 130$ northern industrial house brand

Northern Industrial Welders Arc 200 230 Volt Stick Welder — 200 Amp Output | Arc Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment

the northern and the CH model have low duty cycles.

i do much welding around 90-100a and the hobart is 100% duty cycle at that area...

if I was going economy to save money.. get the NT unit. if you want a lil better and can spend the 300$ get the hobart or the lincoln.

how many rods you burning? is this for farm use? small projects? that all makes a difference. if you just need to weld a gat hinge on 1x per 6 months. the 130$ unit is gonna be hard to beat. it's just the plain cheapest welder in that amp range I 've ever.. ever seen...

/ Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at #3  
Personally I wouldn't drag an AC only machine home if it were free!:thumbdown: I suggest you look at Everlast, and Longevity's line up. I would look real hard at the Everlast PA-300, and Longevity's Stickweld 250. Both have adjustable hot start, and arc force. I got to play with a member here Stickweld 250. One of the nicest arc with 7018 I have ever used. Even did a little aluminum Tig welding with it. Without a remote it is a little tough, but it can be done.;)

Arc Welder| Stick Welder | Power Arc
Stick Welders SMAV, Stick Welder for Sale, Stick Welding Equipment

Attachments

• FDCEN Tig.JPG
    FDCEN Tig.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 983
   / Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at #4  
what's the price on those??... looks like the OP is looking at economy level ( $price$ ) equipment.

soundguy

/ Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at #5  
Look for a lower amp inverter(160-200 amp) from Everlast or Longevity if you're on a budget. ESPECIALLY for a beginner, an inexpensive AC buzzbox is going to give you more frustration than anything else. Getting a machine with DC current will put you so far ahead of the game and shorten the learning curve 10 fold! The Campbell Hausfeld welder is only a good sell for them cause they took your money. If you are on a real tight budget, save your money till you can afford something better.

/ Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at #6  
If you are dead set on buying brand new and going to spend $300 then put another $150 or so with it and get the Hobart AC/DC Stickmate or Miller Thunderbolt.

If on a budget then look for a used Hobart Stickmate, Miller Thunderbolt, or Lincoln AC/DC unit on Craigslist for 1/2 price or so.

If really on a tight money budget then nothing wrong with an AC only unit, but I would never buy a new one. You can find them all the time on Craigslist for $75 to $125 or so. An AC only unit is as simple as they get and will last for decades. Granted they are more limited than a welder that has DC capability, but a hobbyist tinkering in his backyard can do 99% of the stuff he will ever need to do with one.

Regardless I would skip the CH unit.

/ Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at #7  
Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV
Is this a good buy at $299?
Thanks

No, not at all when you can buy a good inverter DC welder for that. I paid $269 for my Everlast PA160, and it is an excellent welder. So much more than an AC welder it is not even funny. I haven't bothered striking an arc with my Lincoln AC 225 since I got the PA160.

James K0UA

/ Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at #8  
Tell you what, if you have your heart set on an AC only Welder, come down to Branson, and give me $150 and carry off my Lincoln AC225. with 30 foot leads I put on it, helmet, and it is mounted on a Pneumatic tired hand cart for portability. Now how about that for a deal. All you have to do is drive up to the door and I will help you load it.

James K0UA

/ Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at #9  
No, not at all when you can buy a good inverter DC welder for that. I paid $269 for my Everlast PA160, and it is an excellent welder. So much more than an AC welder it is not even funny. I haven't bothered striking an arc with my Lincoln AC 225 since I got the PA160.

I just want to heartily second what James said. An AC-only 230 amp buzzbox (without all the nice accessories James is throwing in, mind you) is worth about $100-$150 tops, because you can buy them used all day long at that price and not bat an eye. But wait, you say, that's used, not new. Sure. But there is just not much to go wrong on those AC units. If the fan spins and the power switch works, it's good to go.

But there is absolutely no reason in the world to spend $300 on an AC-only buzzbox when you can have your pick of DC inverter welders at the same price. Everlast PA200 list price is around $350, and you'll actually pay a bit less than that, especially if you go through Mark and tell him you heard about it on this forum. I know some folks on the Internet don't like Chicom welders, but the PA200 is, hands down, so much more welder for the money than an AC-only buzzbox that I don't care who you are, between the two, it's the right choice. Honestly, I think that the day will come when cheap inverter welders will put the AC-only buzzboxes out to pasture. I have to believe that the only reason people pay $300-$350 for a new AC welder today is because they don't know what other options are out there. And, frankly, thank goodness, because I sold my 230/140 amp AC/DC welder for $180, and the buyer could have (and should have) bought something like the PA140ST for $279 list (and less out the door). But I was happy to take his money ;)

/ Is the Campbell Hausfeld AC Stick Welder 230 Volt, Model# WS280000AV a good buy at #10  
As Shield Arc would testify, there is a reason you see so many used AC machines for sale. If they are so good, why are people selling them??? They have a low duty cycle and are often very hard to maintain an arc, especially at low amps. Miller has discontinued the Dialarc 250. It was a good machine but cost so much more than an inverter that is just as good or better and 1/10 the size using less power.