Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar ea26

Default Thinnest steel that can be neatly stick welded

I will shortly be fabricating some garden gates made of steel square hollow sections that will involve welding a lot of small patterns such as squares within triangles etc. I want the gates to be as light as possible and so will want to use the thinnest sections that can be neatly welded. I will be using a basic stick welder for this job - an od Miller econo twin which has a fairly high ocv for DC and AC welding. As an amateur welder I am reasonably compentent, but certainly not up there with the professionals.

My questions are:

1) What is the thinnest square sections that a professional welder can neatly weld? I can handle 1/16th of an inch about 90% of the time - the remainder ends up with blow holes that are difficult to fill given the thin sections involved. I would like to have a go at something thinner, but want to be guided by your advice as to whether this is possible after a lot of practice.

2) What rod classification is the easiest to use for this task? I generally use E6013 but is there a better electrode in terms of welding ease and neatness?

3) What is the best rod size you use to weld thin sections? I actually find that the 1/8th inch rods are easier to use than the 1/10th for thin sections because it's easier to strike an arc with at low amps. But I am interested in what the experienced welders use.

Thank you.
    Last edited by jbwilson; 04-29-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Remove excess verbiage

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Re: Thinnest steel that can be neatly stick welded

I think that if you're welding 1/16" metal with decent consistency, you're doing way better than most stick weldors. I don't have a lot of experience welding thin material myself, but I have heard people say that 6010/6011 can be very good for thin material. It's counter-intuitive because it's a deep-penetrating rod, so you would think that you'd burn through all over the place, but because it's fast-freeze, if you use a whip-and-pause motion and keep your travel speed up, I have read that some folks like it better than anything else for thin material. Anyway, food for thought...

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

I used 1/16 6013 rod welding thin stuff. That was before I got a mig welder. I was welding 1/20 of and inch metal this evening. I would be pulling my hair out trying to weld this with a rod.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

1/16" thick or (16 gauge) is about the practical thinnest limit for stick welding and even that will take some skill to accomplish. I have heard the really really skilled can do 18 gauge but I can not.

As already pointed out some use the fast freeze properties of 6010 or 6011 to successfully weld thin stuff. I am not one of those people who can do it though as I always burn through with 6011.

For me, I would use 5/64" diameter 6013 with the stinger - and work + since you have DC. 6013 is low penetrating rod to start with and the stinger - and work + will result in even less penetration. 6013 burns best on this polarity anyway. Granted there are 1/16" diameter electrodes too, but I hate all 1/16" diameter electrodes except 7014. 1/16" diameter electrodes are like welding with a noodle. 5/64" are thick enough to not flex so much and I really like 5/64" 6013 for thin stuff but not as well as a wire feeder of course. Thin stuff is where a wire feeder shines.

Since you have DC you could add a low cost tig torch for $50 or so (plus you would need an Argon bottle). With scratch start tig you can weld thinner stuff pretty easily.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by rankrank1 View Post
    1/16" thick or (16 gauge) is about the practical thinnest limit for stick welding and even that will take some skill to accomplish. I have heard the really really skilled can do 18 gauge but I can not.

As already pointed out some use the fast freeze properties of 6010 or 6011 to successfully weld thin stuff. I am not one of those people who can do it though as I always burn through with 6011.

For me, I would use 5/64" diameter 6013 with the stinger - and work + since you have DC. 6013 is low penetrating rod to start with and the stinger - and work + will result in even less penetration. 6013 burns best on this polarity anyway. Granted there are 1/16" diameter electrodes too, but I hate all 1/16" diameter electrodes except 7014. 1/16" diameter electrodes are like welding with a noodle. 5/64" are thick enough to not flex so much and I really like 5/64" 6013 for thin stuff but not as well as a wire feeder of course. Thin stuff is where a wire feeder shines.

Since you have DC you could add a low cost tig torch for $50 or so (plus you would need an Argon bottle). With scratch start tig you can weld thinner stuff pretty easily.
    What he said with one addition, you can cut the 1/16 6013 rods in half to better control them.. I don't like 1/16 6013 any better than anyone else. In fact, I don't even like 6013. But you can weld some pretty thin stuff with it, but 14 guage stock is about the thinnest I have ever successfully welded. That all said, I would get the argon bottle, and a cheap HTP regulator and a Chinese e-bay 17V torch, and get to TIGing. way more control, and will do way better job with your rig. I have several packages of 1/16 Lincoln 6013, and I doubt I will ever use them. Not since I got my TIG torch going.. it is just not worth the concentration and aggravation when TIG works so well.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    MF 135

A lot depends on the joint. You don't want any gaps. With a 6010/6011 you can usually turn the amps down pretty low and still strike an arc. You can also put a bunch of tacks without having to worry too much about slag getting in the way.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar ea26

Thank you all - most useful. You actually convinced me to go down the TIG route. I actually have a TIG outfit but not the argon gas cylinder. In Australia you have to TIG weld a lot to justify the expense. - the annual rental on the bottle alone is over $200 per year. But I remembered the very neat weld joints achievable with TIG and so hang the expense. It's been several years since I used TIG and so a bit of practice will be required. I hope my TIG equipment including the bottle pressure regulator still works - it's been over 15 years since I last used it. I'll blow out the dust and hope that the thread on the regulator won't fail and fly off the cylinder under 2000lbs of pressure.

Tractor
    '53 Jubilee

Buy the Argon bottle.... When I started, I purchased my bottles.... saves a lot in rent...

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

If you are not going to TIG a lot, you can get by with a 80 cuFt. bottle. You should be able to buy one for well under $200. Good Luck on your TIG journey.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Iseki TA 247. Husqvarna 54",Gravely Zero, Cub Zero,.Polaris 850 ATV's Stihl 018 026 Pro, 029, 034 Super AV, 039, 044 Mag. Stihl Pole Saw.

If you are stuck on stick welding the project. Look up MG Easy-Strike rod. 5/64. has a hot start tip on each rod. Works well if you need to stick weld something that thin. There are other processes that would work better. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast