Welding rear end of jd 4300

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #1  

arkvet

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4300 HST 4WD
Using the box blade yesterday and broke the connection point on the frame for one of the lift arms. I'm going to try and attach a picture in case it's not clear where I'm talking about.

Anyway, I luckily found both small pieces. I ground the edges of all sides to give a nice deep v. I lined up a piece and tried to tack it with my lincoln 225 and a 6013. That's when I realized something wasn't right.

I'm assuming the frame of this thing is a different type type of material and will require a special rod and particular settings (amps). Any advice would be appreciated. I am also planning to beef up the repair using some fabricated plating material. Any problems using regular steel in combination with the frame material assuming I get the right rods?

I'm fairly confident with my welding abilities but have never welded anything but good olé fashion steel. I apologize for the dark picture. My phone battery was low and the flash wouldn't work.

Attachments

• 20130430_204550.jpg
    20130430_204550.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 517
   / Welding rear end of jd 4300 #2  
How much did it spark when you were grinding it?

A lot, like normal steel?

Just a little?

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #3  
I believe these axle housings are aluminum.This seems to be a common failure point on the 4300. I suspect you might have to replace the housing.

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #4  
A magnet would tell the tale pretty quick. But the sparks (or lack thereof) when you ground should have told you too.

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300
You know I didn't even think about the lack of sparks and the light weight. I'm gonna have to replace e the housing. Dang. Anyone got a part number and (cringing) rough cost?

Honestly I've never looked all that close at this hookup but it just looks to be weakly designed. There's gonna be a lot of tension at times on those little "ears".

And I'm guessing an experienced welder can't even fix this aluminum?

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #7  
And I'm guessing an experienced welder can't even fix this aluminum?

I think the housing will cost well over a $1000, and then there is the labor to consider. I suspect it could be TIG'ed by someone with a good TIG rig to do aluminum alloy. And perhaps "built up a bit". I sure can't do it. I can TIG steel and stainless but not Aluminum alloy which is what I suspect that it is. Check with a Marine Prop shop rebuilding place, They TIG up Propellers.. Maybe they can help

James K0UA

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #8  
In the right hands even Alumininum is an easy fix. See if you can find someone with a 300 amp AC/DC or a Twin Pulse Mig. The nice thing about Aluminum is that it's easy to pile it on and it's easy to take it back down into shape. I'm not sure what the part was supposed to look like so the pic didn't tell me how it looked when it was made but it is possible to add strenghth to aluminum joints. Good luck..

Aluminum alloy which is what I suspect that it is. Check with a Marine Prop shop rebuilding place, They TIG up Propellers..

Now that you mention it this is exactly what the material looks like! I've broken a fin off an aluminum prop before and no doubt, same stuff!

Thanks. I've made a contact to a guy that knows a guy... that is supposed to be able to weld anything. Fingers crossed!

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #10  
I'm surprised John Deere would use cast aluminum there! I would bet anything they would have used cast steel.:confused3:

Just went out and checked mine, none magnetic!