LINCOLN 225

/ LINCOLN 225 #21  
Does that AC version have tapped settings? If so I can't imagine using a machine like that! :thumbdown:

/ LINCOLN 225 #22  
that's one thing I like about my hobart stickmate 235ac. I can run 100% duty cycle on t he 90-ish amp range that I normally use.

/ LINCOLN 225 #23  
Im pretty sure the lincoln has 100% duty cycle on AC also. Mine has never shut me off on AC. But i used to do a lot of stick welding on aluminun dump trailers on DC and it would drive me nuts waiting for the machine to cool of and reset.

/ LINCOLN 225
Hobart LX 235
100% at 90
20% at 225

what about the Lincoln?

/ LINCOLN 225 #25  
Hobart LX 235
100% at 90
20% at 225

what about the Lincoln?

the lincoln uses a knob selector vs a continous control. but that's not a huge issue.

i had heard they were using aluminum windings. but again.. for the $$ on an economy machine.. still not a bad value for the amps.

if I had to buy another stick welder right now.. a lincoln or hobart would still be on my list of runners..

/ LINCOLN 225 #26  
Yes, they are aluminum wires in the Lincoln and it is a tapped current control and 20% duty cycle. Actually, according to Lincoln, they have a 20% duty cycle on ALL settings except the 75 amp setting. This setting used to have a circle around it and was used with a carbon arc torch or a pipe thawing unit, both of which are no longer available. Having a 50 year old Lincoln SA200 Red Face is a good thing to have. Having a Lincoln AC 225 or AC 225/DC 125 that is 50 year old technology... not so much. Nothing wrong if you already have one but to buy a brand new one when there are so much better and less expensive machines on the market doesn't make sense to me. I'm 99.9% certain Shield Arc only mentioned the AC/DC version because DC is much easier to weld with than AC. If you are dead set on having a Lincoln welder, look for a used Idealarc 250 AC/DC. Then you will have an excellent machine. Lincoln has a lot of components made in Mexico, Italy and I'm sure other countries as well. If you're a beginner welder, having the best machine you can afford will drastically reduce the learning curve and frustration level. This is only my opinion but if you limit your choices when looking at a welding machine, you're limiting your chances of getting good at it. Sorry if I seem harsh. That's not my intent. I don't want to see someone spend their hard earned money on something they'll want to replace after they try a better machine.

/ LINCOLN 225 #27  
Until joining these tractor forums I never thought about welding on AC except with Tig aluminum. In my line of work we ran into arc blow all the time, but we only used engine drives, so AC machines were all most unheard of. I took my Montgomery Wards buzz box and did some comparison welding with 7018. You can see in the AC plate where I lost the arc a couple times, and see all the splatter.

When you have some time here are a couple article about welding on AC. In the last paragraph of the Lincoln article pretty much sums it up about welding with AC.
"The first, most common situation is when you have no choice. This is because you are using a power source with AC output only. This is typical with low cost, entry-level type welding machines, often referred to as a buzz box welder".
DC vs. AC Polarity for SMAW

Miller - Basic Tips to Improve Stick Welding

As the resident welding expert already said, "your money.. your call".

Attachments

• 7018 ACDC.JPG
    7018 ACDC.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 7018 AC2.JPG
    7018 AC2.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 7018 DC2.JPG
    7018 DC2.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 360
   / LINCOLN 225
   / LINCOLN 225 #29  
If money is short either wait or buy used. The guys keep talking to you nicely but you are not listening. That machine is a piece of ****, but it will get you through jobs. So in short if money is tight, dont spend it twice. Jmho!

/ LINCOLN 225 #30  
I'm not sure why somebody is holding up "heavy" as a plus. My PA160 weighs 35 lbs. I don't miss lugging my old transformer welder around one bit.