LINCOLN 225

/ LINCOLN 225 #31  
If money is short either wait or buy used. The guys keep talking to you nicely but you are not listening. That machine is a piece of ****, but it will get you through jobs. So in short if money is tight, dont spend it twice. Jmho!

i know, given the choice of the 299$ CH welder.. or a 50$ craigslist tombstone.. i'd go with the tombstone for sure. especially if money was tight and i needed to weld NOW.

you could always do a few jobs and then get all your $ back out of it on craigslist AGAIN later on. nice thing about those tombstones. the ac ones hit a low of about 50$ working, and never go lower. the ac/dc ones.. a lil more. buy low.. and get your money back out of it when needed.

/ LINCOLN 225 #32  
Yes.. I know it is 50 year old welder, but my pocket is sort. What other stick welder can be good for me as my first welder?

or maybe should I wait a little a get something better like
FREE SHIPPING Hobart Stickmate Stickmate LX 300 AC/200 DC 230V Arc Welder/Stick Welder 205 Amp Output, Model# 500560 | Arc Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment
what do you guys think?

I understand you wanting to buy American, but now a days what is truly made in the USA? All these vendors lie to us so much any more we can't believe any of them! About 12 or 13-years ago there was a huge blow out on the Hobart welding forum about their machines being made off shore. Some of the Hobart mods denied it. Then one of them admitted it was true, he got fired for telling us the truth!:eek: Only thing I'm pretty sure was made in America is my two daughters.:laughing:

Before I spent $829.99 on that welder, which I understand they are very nice machines! I would buy the Everlast PA-300 or the Longevity Stickweld 250. I haven't run the PA-300, but soon as Mark sends me one I'll be glad to give it a test drive:D. But I have run the Stickweld 250, beautiful arc with 7018. Both of these machines have adjustable hot start, and arc force! At your level this may be over your head for now, but trust me they are worth having!;)

/ LINCOLN 225
Shield Arc

Thank you for helping me open my dam eyes, I understand that sometimes I am VERY stubborn.
I am looking at the PA-300, seems to be a very nice welder
60% @ 300A
100% 240

/ LINCOLN 225 #34  
It will take some time before you realize how helpful the adjustable hot start is. 6010, and 6011 rods are easy to restart, 7018 can be a beach at times. The hot start really helps with this! The adjustable arc force will even take longer for you to realize how helpful it is. These inverters are amazing how much control they have over the puddle. If you could spend 30-minutes with me in my shop I promise you I can open your eyes.;)

Remember Longevity, and Everlast both give discounts to members here:cool:. Honestly I could care less what brand machine you buy, I'd just like to see you get the best bang for your buck, AC is not the way to go! Another thing, I don't have a crystal ball, so I have no idea how long these inverters will last. There is a mod over on welding web who repairs welders for a living, he says he has seen inverters that are 25-years old not one problem to date.:)

/ LINCOLN 225 #35  
Some of the early inverters had some problems but that has all been fixed. Glad to see you are starting to listen to experience. Mind you if you read the first response to your query, I did suggest an inverter.:shocked:

/ LINCOLN 225 #37  
If you are in the market for a welder and an AC lincoln is high on the list..Buy anything at all. Any brand and you will get something that blobs stuff together good enough for what you are looking for in your price range. Way too much arguement for entry level equipment. No-one makes welders in USA anymore..No-One! For a couple hundred bucks who gives a crap what brand it is.

/ LINCOLN 225
Thanks you everyone specially Shield Arc:thumbsup:

I got a unbeatable dial on a LINCOLN IDEALARC TM 400/400 :cool2:
120Amp Breaker????? :licking::licking::licking::licking::licking::licking:

/ LINCOLN 225 #39  
You got it!:cool: Those are great machines.:thumbsup: Now quick, call up your power company and see if you can buy some stock. :laughing:

/ LINCOLN 225 #40  
Comparing AC tombstone to a DC welder (of any sort) is sort of like comparing Ice Milk to Ice Cream. If you never had both, you won't know what you are missing.

As far as the AC DC version of the tombstone. I've got a lot of hours on one. My father still has one. I've run them where I worked in the past as well. Being limited to ONLY 125 amps (as the tombstone is) on DC stick is definitely a handicap. (or should I say fusionally challenged?)

Joshua, The weight is important for some, as to some people it makes an impression. But pick up an older tombstone or Ideal arc then pick up a new one. There's a difference yet again...but it's been a few years. They could have changed back. Of course I read (somewhere) where the old welder weight was used for a boat anchor when it no longer served.