LINCOLN 225

/ LINCOLN 225 #1  

DXN1EL

Silver Member
Tractor
?
Hello everyone. :newhere: and so far, I love this forum.!

I am currently searching :reading: for my first welder :cool2:

I really like the Lincoln 225 (some called "TOMBSTONE") is really sharp looking welder.
AC-225 and AC/DC 225/125 Stick Welders | Lincoln Electric

Don't Know what model to chose :banghead:

What is the difference? (A/C D/C)

Any help is appreciated

/ LINCOLN 225 #2  
Look at an inverter from Everlast or longevity. Way better machine and about half the price. You want DC current. Much easier to weld with.

/ LINCOLN 225 #3  
I have had an ac 225 for over thirty years, try that with your neverlast !

/ LINCOLN 225
Thanks for your reply
I was thinking about a Chinese crap, but the I realize

one of those junks barely weight 25lb
the "Tombstone" is 125lb

/ LINCOLN 225 #5  
Hello everyone. :newhere: and so far, I love this forum.!

I am currently searching :reading: for my first welder :cool2:

I really like the Lincoln 225 (some called "TOMBSTONE") is really sharp looking welder.
AC-225 and AC/DC 225/125 Stick Welders | Lincoln Electric

Don't Know what model to chose :banghead:

What is the difference? (A/C D/C)

Any help is appreciated

Well, if you ask 10 weldors, about welders, you will get at least 10 different answers, some defended to the death.:) What I am saying is this is a contentious subject. But since you asked.:) Ok.. well an AC only welder will make welds, but an DC welder makes a lot nicer welds with less spatter and offers a larger selection of electrodes that will run on DC I have a nice AC225 Lincoln. looks good, and is about 20 years old. It served me well. I gave about $210 for it about 20 years ago they are about $300 now. I gave $269 for an Everlast PA160, a little 160 amp DC only inverter welder and it is so much better of a welder it is not even in the same class. Its capability's are far greater, its ease of use is far greater. It is the size of a lunch box AND it is made in China!..That fact alone is enough to have me thrown into the depths of hades by some people on this forum, and if you buy a Chinese inverter welder, you too will be despised by a few here. However a lot of these little Chinese welders work very well. Now, how long will they last? I dunno. I have used mine for about 2 years There is nothing in the box on the Lincoln, a transformer, a fan a switch, maybe a choke, and that is about it. The Everlast is full of electronics. All I can tell you is I haven't bothered to use the Lincoln since I got the Everlast, an the Everlast has made my welding so much better it is not even funny. The Lincoln is for sale, it is mounted on a rubber tired hand truck, and I put 30 foot welding leads on it. (original 10 foot) $150 and come and get it.. I will help load it. It is heavy. I can tuck the Everlast under my arm and walk off with it literally, and its duty cycle is more robust than the Lincoln. Would I buy either of the AC225 AC only or even the AC/DC unit.. uh. no I would not. Others on here will call me "shill", "fanboy" or insinuate that I am paid by Everlast or Longivity or so some guy in China. I will assure you I work for Windstream Communications and am just a hobby weldor, and have no finincial interest in or receive ANYTHING from either Everlast or Longivity. Rigs I would look at IF I were you. Everlast PA140 PA160sth PA200 PA300. Longivity Stickweld 250 . There you have heard my rant, and undoubtedly will hear others:D Here is some pix of the welder, and the buckethook is welded with 7018 ( a DC rod) and the broken little stanly hook was TIG'd with the Everlast (yes you can TIG with a DC stick welder)

James K0UA

Attachments

• IMG_20121117_165336_859.jpg
    IMG_20121117_165336_859.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20121117_165303_772.jpg
    IMG_20121117_165303_772.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 390
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 302
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    874.4 KB · Views: 309
   / LINCOLN 225 #6  
Yep... Chinese "crap".. uh huh...yep.. Come get my Lincoln.. $150 I will help load it.. comes with a helmet , long leads, a handful of rods, and a hand truck. That is what I think of it.

/ LINCOLN 225
Thanks, James for the offer but I live not to close :hissyfit:
I guess I going to pass

/ LINCOLN 225 #8  
The Lincoln tombstones have been around for a long time and there are a lot of them out there, as they were the entry level machine for decades. They seem to run forever if treated halfway right, the biggest complaint I had with the one I had was it tended to stick the rod a lot when striking an arc, especially on a new rod. I picked up an Airco 300 from a neighbor, has a much higher ocv so it starts and runs a lot smoother. Now I have a Tigwave 250 that runs stick as well quite nicely. Transformer machines show up on craigslist quite often, and fairly cheap as well. Just make sure you have enough circuit to run it as they do like the amps.

/ LINCOLN 225 #10  
Look on Craigslist or peruse your local pawn shops for a used Lincoln tomb box...
They can be had for $100-$125 all day long around here...
Cheap way to get into welding...
Then if you want to get a more advanced machine look into the inverter types...
Those old tombstones are very reliable...
I do not know how reliable the newer inverter types will be in the long run...
We have an old Smith welder my dad bought new in the 50's...
Darn thing still works...
I guess that I was lucky...
I learned to weld on an old AC stick machine...
If you can weld with them you can weld with just about anything...