Good day today...?

/ Good day today...? #1  

Arc weld

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 135
I have been very frustrated at my current job and another welding supply 5 minutes from where I live was looking for someone for inside sales. I had the day off and phoned them on short notice to see if I could talk to them. I just saw the ad on Sunday. Long story short I had a meeting for 1 0'clock and didn't really have to say much. The guy that interviewed me used to work where I'm at and knew what I was up against. He said knowledge is king and I'd be a great addition. He wanted to offer me the job right then but said he just had to get the OK from his assistant who was out at the time. I came home and he left a message to call him on his cell. I got offered the job which I promptly accepted.:thumbsup: He said to let him know when I can start. He also said if I mentioned where I was going, I'd be guaranteed I could start Monday.:laughing:

I want to give 1 1/2 weeks notice but don't want to be grilled about where I'm going or why I'm leaving by the lazy old guy I can't stand. I thought I'd just give a short letter to the branch manager(who I like) and ask him not to tell anyone other than the owner at the main branch. My sister says to just say nothing if asked but that's hard when you sit 3 ft. away. If the owner or someone with authority wants an exit interview is the time to speak my mind. How would you guys deal with this? I jokingly said I should go to work and just wait till the old guy starts to argue with me and get up and walk out. ;)

/ Good day today...? #2  
Keep it short, sweet, vague, and don't say anything bad about the A$$h0le as you leave so you don't burn any bridges behind you. You can always use the CEO and politician excuse as to why your leaving, "I want to spend more time with my family" or "I want to pursue other interests."

I was so fed up with my last employer that I didn't burn my bridges, I nuked them.

/ Good day today...? #3  
Never understood the 2-weeks notice:confused3:. I guess things are done differently in construction. I worked both sides of the fence in construction, started out as an hourly union apprentice, ended as a salaried project superintendent. In all my years I never once got 2-weeks notice I was going to be let go, generally it's pretty oblivious when all the materials are in place, and you just loaded the last truck, and the office trailers left earlier that morning! When I quit a job, I didn't believe in burning bridges, I wanted to blow them up! I told the foreman or superintendent exactly what I thought of them! People in construction must not hold grudges, the company I worked for the longest, I quit them 4-times, each time I blew that bridge to the high heavens. Managers in construction don't care about your attitude, it's all about how much money you can make them. :laughing:

/ Good day today...? #4  
Tell him you got a massive pay increase and a $3000 sign on bonus and a company vehicle, and you couldnt refuse for the benefit of your family. This way you covered everything. Then pull his underwear over his head and tell him to F off! Ok you may wanna leave the last part out! :D

/ Good day today...? #5  
As much as you'd like to really burn their butt - don't do it. That won't make you any money, and that's what it's all about. On the other hand, two weeks notice might be expected for some executive job, but not for a skilled trade. Give your immediate supervisor a short 'to the point' letter stating that you are leaving to pursue 'other interests that better fits your current needs' and the date that you want to leave, be it one day or one week - whatever. Don't go into the 'why and what for'. And just don't have time for any exit interviews - those are for the employers benefit to cover their ***. They never are to your advantage, and you're not required to do so anyway.

There's no need or advantage to you to burn your bridges. And your leaving is not going to shut them down. Just do it promptly, in writing, to the proper next in command. Your satisfaction will be in the next job. And who knows - fifteen years from now you may need another job or a reference.

My comments comes from 20 years of management and staffing in the project engineering, procurement and construction. Take it or leave it.

...it's about the money.

/ Good day today...? #6  
pull his underwear over his head and tell him to F off!
Back in my younger days. On a bridge project, I was the rigging foreman. I got into a really heated argument with the carpenter superintendent. During this argument he felt it was the right thing to push me. WRONG! I beat that man silly! We had to go in front of the project manager, along with the project superintendent. The company couldn't afford to loose either one of us so they wanted us to shake hands and go back to work. The carpenter sup wanted me off the job, but that wasn't going to happen. We shook hands and went back to work. The next day the carpenter sup came in with his resignation, and 2-weeks notice. The project sup told him F*** the 2-weeks get off my job now!:laughing:

/ Good day today...? #7  
2 weeks is just a courtesy to the employer you are leaving. That being said I've seen people leave and practically scorch the earth behind them as they go. 95% of the time, nothing changed. Take the high road and leave when your 2 weeks are up.

/ Good day today...? #8  
Give him the 2wk notice, then call in sick for 2wks. Then come back for your paychecks and then you give him a wedgie in front of everyone and then leave gracefully like a gentleman. :)

/ Good day today...? #9  
Where I live you cannot be forced to give a notice at all. And well, it goes for the employer as well...no notice required for layoff. It's called a "right to work" state. You have the right to work...or not...as the case may be.
With that said, you can file unemployment, and then it's up to the state to make a determination of wrongful dismissal...which you can then "air your grievance" directly to your ex-boss in front of a mediator who determines eligibility

/ Good day today...? #10  
Back in my younger days. On a bridge project, I was the rigging foreman. I got into a really heated argument with the carpenter superintendent. During this argument he felt it was the right thing to push me. WRONG! I beat that man silly! We had to go in front of the project manager, along with the project superintendent. The company couldn't afford to loose either one of us so they wanted us to shake hands and go back to work. The carpenter sup wanted me off the job, but that wasn't going to happen. We shook hands and went back to work. The next day the carpenter sup came in with his resignation, and 2-weeks notice. The project sup told him F*** the 2-weeks get off my job now!:laughing:

LMAO good for you bud! Im sure it built up to that, but sometimes ya gotta do whats ya gotta do! :D