Finally found a deal on a Welder...! Yeah !

/ Finally found a deal on a Welder...! Yeah ! #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
I was at my gunsmith's shop today...he is a machinist too...he can make anything....I complimented him on his welding and told him I have been trying to find a welder to buy for over a year....He said he had a Clarke...flux core machine, with a hood and wire etc..it also has gas...for $75.00....I am going to go back tomorrow and pick it up...I don't know the model ..he is going to show me how to use it...I know and trust him so..kind of sight unseen deal..I was in a hurry this AM and the welder was in another building....anyway...I can start to pester all you guys with silly questions...so I am giving a heads up...thanks in advance for all the help you can give me...:thumbsup: I hope I know what I am getting myself in for...:eek:

/ Finally found a deal on a Welder...! Yeah ! #2  
I hope you realize Clarke is no longer making welders and parts will be near impossible to find. Does he have a new welder he uses? $75 isn't a lot of money but there's a reason he's selling it. If it was me, I'd look for something a little better that you'll be able to get parts for now and in the future?

Things to check; Does the gun remove from the machine? Is the gun a Clarke or a more common gun like a Tweco? Can you replace the liner? Where do you get contact tips, nozzles and diffusers if you run gas on it? Does it have cold wire when not welding? (Some low end machines the wire is always hot, so if it touches the metal it will arc even if the trigger isn't pulled) How many amps and what duty cycle is it? What size drive rolls does it have and where do you get replacements? Does it have continuous wire speed and voltage controls or are one or both of them in steps? If in steps how many? Lots of things to consider other than the seemingly low price.

/ Finally found a deal on a Welder...! Yeah ! #3  
Arc weld raises some good points. Transformer-based stick machines... well, basically, if they run, they'll weld. Not a lot to break on them, usually--just put an electrode in and go. But wire-feed machines need regular injections of consumables (tips, liners, etc...). If consumables will be difficult to find, you may as well pass.

/ Finally found a deal on a Welder...! Yeah !
OK thanks so much guys...I have printed out your comments so I can check on all of the points you raise...Hmmm ? darn and here I thought I had finally found a deal...I thought just the welding helmet was worth the $75...Amazon sells Clarke welders Amazon.com: clarke welder How can they sell them if there are no parts available or don't make them anymore...? Curious ? Help

/ Finally found a deal on a Welder...! Yeah ! #5  
If you are looking for one to just mess around with, I woud not worry about parts too much. You will go through tips, but I highly doubt Clarke uses some one off style. For 75 to learn/mess around with, you will be fine.

Still selling parts too, at least for some models.

Clarke MIG Welding Gun Replacement Parts, Welding Parts, Metal Working Accessories, Welder Supplies | USAWeld.com

Thanks...really that about describes what I will be doing with the welder...I have 2 3 inch long spits on my bush hog deck and I figure if I haul it to a welder he will charge me more than the $75 for me to just buy a welder...this one..and give it a go myself and have the welder as a bonus in case something else comes up...that's all I want... I should have made that clear when I posted....I have no plans to do professional welding or any kind of volume or serious welding....I just want to be better than OBED ..:laughing:

/ Finally found a deal on a Welder...! Yeah ! #7  
Buy the welder from your Friend and enjoy yourself. It will, most certainly be a learning process, but you will have discovered a Hobby. Your newly acquired skills will enable you to perform projects that are profitable and enjoyable. Best wishes. Please be sure to keep that Hood down. You don't need to damage your eyes. BTW, I bought a pair of welding gloves on Amazon. If you buy $25.00 of merchandise, shipping is free at Amazon. Just a thought. I, personally, love shopping at Amazon.

Buy the welder from your Friend and enjoy yourself. It will, most certainly be a learning process, but you will have discovered a Hobby. Your newly acquired skills will enable you to perform projects that are profitable and enjoyable. Best wishes. Please be sure to keep that Hood down. You don't need to damage your eyes. BTW, I bought a pair of welding gloves on Amazon. If you buy $25.00 of merchandise, shipping is free at Amazon. Just a thought. I, personally, love shopping at Amazon.

OK - thanks Creekbend...will you be willing to give me pointers from time to time...? :)

/ Finally found a deal on a Welder...! Yeah ! #10  
OK - thanks Creekbend...will you be willing to give me pointers from time to time...? :)
If I were more proficiant, I would be glad to, but I am relearning myself. I did quite a lot of welding in the mid 70's. It seems that WE both are novices. BTW, this comes from past experience. I flash burned my eyes once by looking at the arc before putting my hood down. The pain was fairly elevated. It felt like sand grit rubbing in my eye socket. I didn't even realize it at the time. I was told to peel a potato, slice it, and place the slices on my eye lids while closed. The next day, I was okay. The burning feeling even went away.