Add on bucket hooks

/ Add on bucket hooks #1  

roache

Tractor
IH 2400A backhoe..,NH L865 skid steer, IH 185 LoBoy, Kubota L2250 WalMart Murray 20 hp rider, my workhorse
Conflicting suggestions on placement of welded add on hooks to round bucket.
Kubota dealer 1... just scrape paint and weld hooks onto the sides.
Kubota dealer 2...always on the top, near each corner. Says sides are weak points.
Kubota dealer 3...must weld a plate to each side and then weld each hook to that plate.

I don't have a clue. Would appreciate opinions.

/ Add on bucket hooks #2  
Definitely not on the sides of the bucket. Near the corners on the top would be OK but you may want to add some reinforcement on the inside of the bucket where the hooks are mounted.

/ Add on bucket hooks
Definitely not on the sides of the bucket. Near the corners on the top would be OK but you may want to add some reinforcement on the inside of the bucket where the hooks are mounted.

Thank you. I'm handy with tools...BUT short on knowledge.
Dealer who said on top quoted $20.
Dealer who said on side no support, $125
Dealer with plates on side $85,

Go figure.
Your suggestion sounds good to me.

/ Add on bucket hooks #4  
I have a Kubota L4400. I have three bolt on hooks on top of the bucket. Here is what I did. Since my bucket is 72" wide, I put a 1/4" piece of angle iron - 70" long on the top of the bucket. I bolted one hook on the top of the bucket directly in the middle front of each bucket cylinder. I bolted the third hook midway between the other two hooks. Best wishes.

/ Add on bucket hooks
Thanks, looks like a consenus here, top of the bucket. Your design looks like maximum bucket protection.
Appreciate the replies. John

/ Add on bucket hooks #6  
I have a Kubota L4400. I have three bolt on hooks on top of the bucket. Here is what I did. Since my bucket is 72" wide, I put a 1/4" piece of angle iron - 70" long on the top of the bucket. I bolted one hook on the top of the bucket directly in the middle front of each bucket cylinder. I bolted the third hook midway between the other two hooks. Best wishes.

^^^ I think that's the generally recommended way.

I just welded three hooks onto my B21 bucket, but it has reinforcement across the middle. I have more hooks that I want to put on other buckets and I will add some angle iron, but that's the positioning I will use.

Those dealer quotes sound high. You might take it to a weld shop and just have them welded on.

/ Add on bucket hooks #7  
I did a bunch of research on this basic subject and found out that the best place to place a hook is in line with the bucket cylinders. A hook in the center of the bucket would be very handy as well. The idea is to keep the weight of whatever you're lifting centered in the bucket so not to induce a twist on the loader. As stated, you will most likely need some reinforcment. A picture of your bucket would sure help us out and there might be someone here that did the same thing to his bucket. Here is how I did mine.
Steve

quick13.JPG

/ Add on bucket hooks #8  
If you or someone you know can weld you can probably add bucket hooks for about $30. Here's how I did mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 317
   / Add on bucket hooks
Thanks guys, ideas and photos helped. Now there's no doubt hooks go on top..I bought my L2250 Kubota used, and there are two very small hooks on the sides of my 52" bucket. Replacing square bucket with a newer Kubota L4600 with a round 72" heavy duty L2296. Price quotes for bucket less welding, $350, $422, $500. Interesting enough, dealer with best package price was the one who placed hooks on top, and only charged $20 for welding.John

/ Add on bucket hooks #10  
Yea, if you're buying a complete bucket, they shouldn't charge you a whole lot to weld a couple hooks on. $20 is reasonable. You could always say you'll buy the bucket if they put the hooks on. Make sure the guy welding is a decent welder though. I've seen some dealers attempt welding...:eek: Putting the hooks inline with the bucket cylinders is OK just make sure you have clearance in case a section of chain fell behind the hook. It could damage your cylinder(s).