Welding tanks/torches/etc

/ Welding tanks/torches/etc #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
I'm a novice, but absolutely need to get a cutting torch setup soon...I'm tired of imposing on my neighbor every time I need to cut something, or heat up a nut/bolt to loosen it. I've been going to farm auctions, and watching CL, and just saw this set pop up....on the surface, it sounds okay, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for some expert opinion here. Does this seem like a reasonable deal?

Torches with victor gauges

/ Welding tanks/torches/etc #2  
I would go with the seller to "garden city welding" and have them verify that those tanks are indeed privately owned tanks, not rentals... That is the only thing that will matter when you need to refill them.

Aaron Z

/ Welding tanks/torches/etc
I would go with the seller to "garden city welding" and have them verify that those tanks are indeed privately owned tanks, not rentals... That is the only thing that will matter when you need to refill them.

Aaron Z

I was kind of thinking along those lines as well....thanks. I wouldn't actually be refilling them there, as there's a small mom and pop welding supply place much closer to me....not that it makes much difference.

/ Welding tanks/torches/etc #4  
Figured that was the case given the distance, but I wanted to make sure you knew. I might contact your local place and find out what they will require for proof of ownership (in case you need to get a receipt or something from "garden city welding" to prove that they are yours).

Aaron Z

/ Welding tanks/torches/etc #5  
You may want to think about going with propane for your cutting needs. I understand the price of acetylene has gone through the roof! Personally I don't have a problem with propane for cutting, but I don't like it for heat shrinking items back into shape. Far as heating a nut for removal it works fine.

/ Welding tanks/torches/etc #6  
Ditto what Aaron said. Tanks are a funny thing. And the last thing you want is to "think" you own leased tanks

Good point guys...I'm thinking if I buy them, I might try to meet the seller at the welding shop....can't hurt.

/ Welding tanks/torches/etc #8  
The important place to ask is the one you will be filling them at. My local shop is very easy going about it. Pretty much as long as you sign off that you own it, they are good to go on the larger tanks. The downside is that you cannot swap out owned larger tanks (125 cf+) as they will only fill and return, so you can wait a week for that to happen.

The important place to ask is the one you will be filling them at. My local shop is very easy going about it. Pretty much as long as you sign off that you own it, they are good to go on the larger tanks. The downside is that you cannot swap out owned larger tanks (125 cf+) as they will only fill and return, so you can wait a week for that to happen.

Thanks Dave. I was thinking of calling the shop nearby as well....good tip.

/ Welding tanks/torches/etc #10  
I'm a novice, but absolutely need to get a cutting torch setup soon...I'm tired of imposing on my neighbor every time I need to cut something, or heat up a nut/bolt to loosen it. I've been going to farm auctions, and watching CL, and just saw this set pop up....on the surface, it sounds okay, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for some expert opinion here. Does this seem like a reasonable deal?

Torches with victor gauges

I have a set of Victor gauge/regulators and hose torches, been using them for over 30 years still working great - IMO good equipment,