TIG gas lens parts question

/ TIG gas lens parts question #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
I got a shipment of parts for my TIG torch today. I want to get set up with a gas lens. I have a 17-style torch. I ordered the lens, the insulator, and the nozzle/cup. When I was looking at the Weldcraft web site, I didn't see a dedicated gas lens collet, but now that I have all the parts, my electrode slides out of the torch and the standard collet doesn't seem to help.If you look at the attached image, I have parts 13, 12, and 11. On that diagram, no collet is shown for the gas lens assembly. Any advice anybody could offer would be great. If anybody has a torch they could show me the proper assembly of, or link to a picture that shows a complete gas lens setup exploded diagram, that'd be much appreciated.

WC17.jpg

/ TIG gas lens parts question #2  
You will still need a collet with the gas lens. Just tighten up the front end parts and the cap last. Double check the collet size.

/ TIG gas lens parts question #3  
Personally I don't think the gas lens are worth it.
I have the WP20 Weldcraft torch.

Attachments

• Gas lens.JPG
    Gas lens.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 595
   / TIG gas lens parts question
You will still need a collet with the gas lens. Just tighten up the front end parts and the cap last. Double check the collet size.

Is it the same collet as would be used with a non-gas-lens collet body? I'm certain that the collet size was correct. Maybe I just had it installed wrong or didn't tighten it up thoroughly enough.

Personally I don't think the gas lens are worth it.

I just got my argon cylinder today and am still chasing down gas leaks, so I don't have an opinion either way yet. I know that Jody speaks highly of them. I guess I figured anything that cut down on gas flow and/or allowed a little extra stickout was probably a good thing. What don't you like about them?

/ TIG gas lens parts question #6  
When it comes to Tig welding, Jody and I are not even on the same planet! Now structural welding I might give him a run for his money.

I can run my Dynasty 300 with gas lens side by side with my Tig rig on another welder, I can't see any difference at all. But like I said, I'm not much of a Tig weldor.:eek:

Whoops. Not a gas leak. I had the polarity reversed. TIG is electrode negative; stick is (usually) electrode positive. I just took off my stick stinger and hooked up the TIG torch the same way. Duh. Too bad it's dark out and I already put my toys away. Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow to run that first bead.

/ TIG gas lens parts question #8  
Gas lenses have their place. They provide better gas coverage needed on Brasses,Bronzes,Zinc and other odd metals. The big draw is you can run up to 5/8' stick out with no tungsten damage. For 99% on my tig welding, No gas lens needed.

I did a little reading, and according to Weldcraft, the primary advantage of a gas lens is the ability to have additional stickout for access to narrow joints. Weldcraft says a gas lens allows 3-5 cfh less gas flow compared to a standard torch, all else being equal.

Based on that number, I did a little math: at 3 cfh less, compared to a 125 cf tank, that is about 1/41th of the tank. If the fill of the tank is $100 (it's not, but I'm picking a high number), you save $2.43 / tank by choosing a lens. At 5 cfh reduction, you save $4 / tank.

Cyberweld has a set of five standard collet bodies for $25, or $5 each. Meanwhile, a pack of two gas lenses is $24, or $12 each, a price difference of $7. The lenses are comparably priced for both lens and standard, so they're a wash.

In conclusion, in the best case scenario (including a wildly high estimate of gas cost and assuming the best-case reduction in gas flow), you would have to use a gas lens for two full tanks of argon before it broke even compared to a standard collet on the gas flow. In reality, the break-point is probably four refills or more. And that's probably why Weldcraft says that reduced gas flow shouldn't be the primary reason for choosing a gas lens. Because, honestly, it's probably going to be years before I go through that much argon, and in the mean time, I guarantee I'm going to be crudding up the torch and so forth. And then I've only broken even. If I keep going, I will save money at a rate of... $4 per tank-fill. Whoop-de-doo!

Well, I have the lens and I have a pack of nozzles for it, so I'm going to go ahead and use them, but I probably won't buy them in the future unless I have tight joints that I need to get into, or unless I want the increased visibility that comes with additional stickout.

/ TIG gas lens parts question #10  
I use gas lenses most of the time. For really tight spots I do not but "tight" means different things to different people.

There are pencil torches with angled heads that use quartz cups that allow you to weld in places you couldn't dream of fitting a gas lense.

They make the most difference welding Titanium and Stainless, even with a drag box although not as much.

Also makes a difference with aluminum and magnesium if you have much in the way of air currents in your shop.