Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos)

/ Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos) #1  

ChuckE2009

Silver Member
Goodafternoon, everyone!

Here are a couple videos that I wanted to share..

A little while back a buddy of mine, Peter Zila was nice enough to drive out to the farm and brought, among other things, a roll of Lincoln Dual-Shield wire.

I'd never run Dual-Shield before, and man is it fun... Kinda like a combination of Mig and Stick welding... I really liked it.

Anyway, here's a two-part video on Gas Shielded Flux Core wire, what it is, some tips for running it, and what it's used for. Hope y'all enjoy it :)

Part 1:

/ Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos)
Part 2:

/ Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos) #4  
Great Video, nice to see some of that dual shield run. I know what I will be going to for any heavy fab I run up against. (not much but I can always dream)

/ Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos) #5  
Ok, I need to understand what the "spray arc" versus standard short circuit MIG welding is all about. And in regards to the Lincoln Outershield 71M, which looks *really* interesting to me, what is the effect of pulse MIG versus non-pulse? I am thinking about buying a Everlast I-Mig 250P, and using this wire.

/ Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos) #6  
Allright, I found a good discussion of the 3 modes of MIG welding, so I understand spray arc now. The pulse stuff, as far as I can tell is really only good for thin steel, and non-thin aluminum. And pulse seems a bit of a black art with most brands, but the one on the Everlast is simple and understandable.

/ Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos) #7  
Here are some pictures of spray, and pulsed welding on aluminum I did when I first got my V350-Pro. The ripples you see on the aluminum welds are the pulse, I just held the spool gun in one position and traveled forward.

Attachments

• A 29.0.JPG
    A 29.0.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 1,237
  • -1.0.JPG
    -1.0.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 1,317
  • Flat fillet.JPG
    Flat fillet.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 452
   / Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos) #8  
Shield Arc-

Your welds always seem to look better than mine, but nothing has fallen apart over the years, so I guess ugly is OK sometimes too. I started off in the 70s with a Marquette 250 AC unit (I think the largest thing they made at the time). It was a bit aggravating to use the old AC units, but had a 160A/100% duty cycle, so I could weld continuously the best I could with 7018AC rods.

I have been using a pair of Miller XMT-300 welders for SMAW for the last 10 years, and want to get into MIG welding. I have always wanted to get into welding aluminum. I had assumed that I would have to learn TIG to do it, but it seems that people do OK with MIG.

The Everlast I-MIG 250p looks like a pretty nice unit and good value as far as I can tell. But the pulse part of it (it is single pulse, not P on P) is not obvious. I guess I will just need to spend an hour or two playing with it on aluminum, and of course it will depend on the aluminum alloy as to exact parameters.

Thanks for your input!

Tom

/ Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos) #9  
It is amazing what I don't know, or remember about the technical end of welding:eek:. That is one thing I love about Arc Weld, that kid has total recall of what he has learned.:cool:
But I've always had a sense of how to dial a welding machine in, generally only takes me a couple tries. You wouldn't believe how many guys I've seen get fired for going back to their welder too many times to adjust it.:eek:
I'm not much of an aluminum weldor, here is a corner joint I did on some 16-GA with my spool gun and the V350-Pro.

Attachments

• corner joint clean.JPG
    corner joint clean.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 378
  • corner penetration.JPG
    corner penetration.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 333
   / Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos) #10  
That looks fine to me, no holes or inclusions, good penetration. I hope to do that after a few days of working with aluminum also. What alloy was that you were using? My only experience was to try welding some with a ESAB MIG unit, using MD extruded aluminum from a large ACE Hardware store, and it was the sootiest stuff I have ever seen, but the welds turned out ok. Not quite as smooth as your square stock, but somewhat close.

Thanks for the input!