New (for me) O/A setup...

/ New (for me) O/A setup... #1  

golferdude

Tractor
Kubota
My father in-law passes over a year ago and he had quite a few pieces of shop equipment. One of them was an O/A setup. He gave it to me but I just brought it to my house this weekend. It has Victor Regulators, SR-460, and a Purox CW-275 torch/W-275 body. It doesn't have flash arrestors on either end and since I am not as experienced I def want to get some. It seems like I see the Victor, Smith, and Oxweld flash arrestors quite a bit. I have also seen Hobart ones. On EBay I did see a Purox 20357 flash arrestor set for $20 plus shipping. Is there brand most people use? Or a brand to stay away from? Thanks...

/ New (for me) O/A setup... #2  
They're all about the same. I prefer the older style Purox torches.

/ New (for me) O/A setup... #3  
The CW-275 is an obsolete but good quality Purox torch. When you need o-rings for it just ask for the GT-250 orings. ( same sizes ) Cutting tips are still the same. I don't think any of the torch manufacturers build the flash arrestors so they are all probably good. Victor has theirs built in so they make those but everyone sells them so what ever you can get a deal on are the ones to buy. Some have check valves built in to them.

/ New (for me) O/A setup...
The CW-275 is an obsolete but good quality Purox torch. When you need o-rings for it just ask for the GT-250 orings. ( same sizes ) Cutting tips are still the same. I don't think any of the torch manufacturers build the flash arrestors so they are all probably good. Victor has theirs built in so they make those but everyone sells them so what ever you can get a deal on are the ones to buy. Some have check valves built in to them.

Thanks for the info. I am wanting to get a rosebud tip for the torch. I have a rosebud tip but the connection is a little different where it screws into the torch piece. The distance from the tip to the o-ring is longer than what the tips I have with the Purox torch. So if I want to buy a rosebud tip that matches the other tips I have for the Purox, I just tell them it is for a Purox torch? Or what other brand matches up with the Purox torch? On the flash arrestor, the packaging says it is made by Purox and I was told that it does have a built in check valve. I was thinking on getting a set for the torch. And I was going to get a set for the regulator as well. Those would be another brand then. Not sure that matters?

/ New (for me) O/A setup... #5  
There may not be a rosebud available. You'd have to take into a welding supply that has Purox/Esab and see if a rosebud from another model has the same end to go on the handle. A catalogue may list compatible tips and/or rosebuds.

/ New (for me) O/A setup... #6  
They wont have a rosebud for the CW275 but if you tell them it's for a GT 250 handle, you can try it on for size. Note, ESAB no longer makes Purox in the States so they may not be able to get you one. If they can get one, Make sure it's a smaller one and size it to your Acetylene tank. You don't want to over draw and get acetone in your equipment. You may want to try to get a Propane rosebud as an option. I don't think Purox ever had built in check valves., As far as I know Victor is the only one with built in check valves and flash arrestors. I could explain the difference but you should read up on both. Cutting tips for your torch are the same 4202 series that they always used.