What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder?

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #31  
Not sure of the model.. I've been trying to find it for awhile now as this was in the mid 90's and I forget :) I know it was 3-phase, huge, and had a duty cycle that we never pegged. Welded 1/2" x 10" plate onto a tank rim once to extend the height.. Tank was 5' x 12' (?) so 34' of bead. Only stopped to swap people halfway through.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #32  
It's called Miller auto-set...
Awesome.. Thanks!

Sounds like about the same idea. Of course, the one I remember could auto set for stainless and alum too.. But a start! Thanks

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #33  
I've never used an auto set machine. I don't think I would like it either! I don't like people telling me what to do, much less a welding machine! :D

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #34  
Hah!

That machine made it sooo easy to weld though.. Kinda helped me 'fib' my way in ;)

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #35  
100_0301.JPG

Above was made with a Lincoln SP135 using .035 flux core . Some of the metal on that ripper is 1/2" welded to 3/8" , ( the flanges on top the tube holding the pins for the rippers ) . 6' wide pulling 8 18" shanks behind my N.H. TC30 . Have yet to break any weld , But have came to a tire spinning stop when the rippers have caught something to big to rip out of the ground .

Is it has fast as welding with a 220/240 machine . NO . But with proper technique and patience , It CAN be done . The Chain hanger on my old truck use to haul 500+ lbs of tire chains up and down I-5 for 6+ years without breaking . 1/2" to 1/2" , Took me better than 4 hours to weld a total of maybe 16" but it got done and never failed .

Fred H.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder?
Cool looking ripper Fred! That's pretty impressive.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #37  
View attachment 324155

Above was made with a Lincoln SP135 using .035 flux core . Some of the metal on that ripper is 1/2" welded to 3/8" , ( the flanges on top the tube holding the pins for the rippers ) . 6' wide pulling 8 18" shanks behind my N.H. TC30 . Have yet to break any weld , But have came to a tire spinning stop when the rippers have caught something to big to rip out of the ground .

Is it has fast as welding with a 220/240 machine . NO . But with proper technique and patience , It CAN be done . The Chain hanger on my old truck use to haul 500+ lbs of tire chains up and down I-5 for 6+ years without breaking . 1/2" to 1/2" , Took me better than 4 hours to weld a total of maybe 16" but it got done and never failed .

Fred H.

I like how people will tell you what a machine they don't own can and can't do. My BIL has a SP125 and it's a great machine. It doesn't like a standard 20 amp circuit when you cranked up the power but with a 30 amp circuit it's a great very capable welder.

As for the cold welds guys, all I'll say is this. I'm not a welder, I have never taken a single class in welding, but I do weld. However I'm a certified NDT inspector. I'm a level 2 (was level three when I was part owner in an NDT company) in mag particle, dye penetrate, x-ray, visual, ultrasonic, and eddy current. Over the years before my AWS CWI expired I tested numerous weld certs. So when I say I have welded 3/16" steel successfully with a Lincoln weldpak 100 it's pretty safe to say it's capable of doing it.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #38  
Certainly agree with Al regarding electrical circuit . Always had mine plug into a dedicated 30 amp circuit .

Fred H.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #39  
Just bevel your parts and burn it in no preheat needed unless you are in the extreme cold. You can do amazing things with one of those MIGs as long as you have the amps. As long as you puddle and don't try to carry too much metal it will do just fine. Prep work and inter-pass work is key. Keep it clean and it'll be fine.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #40  
Most inexperienced welders won't take the time to bevel, preheat and do multiple passes. They just want to weld it up. What a lot of extra time and work. If you're going to be doing any amount of welding, do you want to have to do that for every weld? Do you want to spend more time letting the welding machine cool than actually welding? Everyone could be driving a scooter too as it will get you from point A to point B.