What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder?

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I've had a Lincoln Electric 115v wire feed welder for a number of years now. It is one of those Home Chepot specials that I paid around $400 for maybe 8 or 9 years ago.

I would like to build an extension for my sawmill. The current steel for the track is 2x6x1/8" and I would like to use 2x6x3/16" thick for the extension. It's not much more money and should give me more strength and less flex. Can I weld this with my welder?

It will obviously be holding heavy logs and is subject to a decent amount of weight/forces. The welder can supposedly weld 1/4" but I've never used it for anything over 1/8" before, and that was just a quick repair on something that didn't hold much weight.

I know this isn't ideal, but its what I have....for now.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #2  
In a word, no, not enough of a machine for that kind of a build, it's probably maxed out at 1/8"......Mike

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #3  
You could bevel slightly with a grinder and or pre heat to 800 degrees. .035 flux core or .030 hard wire. Weave bead or multiple passes. Single pass would concern me a little on 3/16 and 1/4" is a stretch.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #4  
you could get some steel the size you are planning to use and make some test welds. Pound them apart with a hammer and see how they break.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #5  
In a word, no, not enough of a machine for that kind of a build, it's probably maxed out at 1/8"......Mike

Yes,

Turn up to max amps and wire speed to 3-4

If your worried give both pieces a good bevel first.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #6  

I've never used a wire feed welder so, I'm asking out of curiosity. Can you not run multiple passes with a wire feed welder as is done with a stick welder? If not, why?

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder?
Yes,

Turn up to max amps and wire speed to 3-4

If your worried give both pieces a good bevel first.
Thanks for the advice on settings!

I've used the welder a decent amount before, but as weird as this sounds, I feel like I get better welds (better looking and stronger) when I'm using a stick welder. I wish I had a stick welder to do all this with but I don't.

I'll do some test welds and see how it looks. I'll try banging it apart and if it's solid as a rock, I'll go ahead and weld the steel with my welder, if not, I'll have a friend come up and weld it the right way.

Sometimes when I weld with my wire feed welder, I get a lot of spatter, is that because my heat is up too high? The steel is always clean and I make sure to have a good ground.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #8  
if you have a torch you could heat the beveled joint before you weld.helps penetration .which lincoln do you have? they could be from 85 amps to 140 amps.obviously a 140 amp machine would be better.you might get a cheap mapp gas torch to heat it.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #9  
Thanks for the advice on settings!

I've used the welder a decent amount before, but as weird as this sounds, I feel like I get better welds (better looking and stronger) when I'm using a stick welder. I wish I had a stick welder to do all this with but I don't.

I'll do some test welds and see how it looks. I'll try banging it apart and if it's solid as a rock, I'll go ahead and weld the steel with my welder, if not, I'll have a friend come up and weld it the right way.

Sometimes when I weld with my wire feed welder, I get a lot of spatter, is that because my heat is up too high? The steel is always clean and I make sure to have a good ground.

Multiple reasons;

Not enough shielding gas (if using)
Too much wind/draft if using gas
Wire speed too fast heat too low

Sure there are others but I have never really used flux core...maybe check the polarity (inside cover will tell you if lead should be Neg or Pos for flux and same with gas

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #10  
Can you not run multiple passes with a wire feed welder as is done with a stick welder?
Yes you can but one pass with poor penetration is the same as multiple passes with poor penetration. Think of it this way, would you use a tack hammer to drive a 4" nail?. Sure it could be done...eventually but it's not right nor practical.....Mike