New Way To Restart A Rod?

/ New Way To Restart A Rod? #1  

bigdeano

Platinum Member
Tractor
MM UTS and Homemade
Some of the rods I use are difficult to restart after the tip cools off. 7024 and 6011 cause me problems usually. I got to thinking, why not just heat the tip up again? I have a propane torch that goes on and off by pulling the trigger so it was easy to try. It seems to work like a champ. No need to chip the flux back on the 7024, it just takes right off when it touches the work. 6011 works good too.

Maybe someone can try it with 7018, my buzz box won't run it.

I've never seen this method posted, maybe everyone knows about it already.

/ New Way To Restart A Rod? #2  
Seems like a lot of effort.
Just knock the flux cone off and keep going.
If it works for you however go for it.

/ New Way To Restart A Rod? #3  
I have ground a 7018 to expose bright metal and that makes it restart nicely.

/ New Way To Restart A Rod? #4  
6011 shouldn't need anything done to it to restart. Are you sure it is being run hot enough? Turn up the heat and try a restart.

7018 comes in an "AC" model that is useful for buzzboxes. Tractor Supply carries it in Hobart brand but any LWS should have it.

/ New Way To Restart A Rod?
7024 is very difficult to break the flux cone off of. I usually have to lay the rod down and use the chipping hammer.

6011 is always sticky on my welder which has low OCV. I noticed it restarted instantly while still hot, so I thought I'd heat it with the torch and see what happened.

Just thought you guys might be interested in a new way of doing something. It takes almost zero effort to pull the trigger on the torch and heat the rod for 5 seconds.

/ New Way To Restart A Rod? #6  
Having to heat the rod before striking an arc :confused3: That's enough to drive a person to start using rivets again. :eek: The flux on 7024 is about 50% iron powder and it shouldn't be hard to restrike by just giving it a little harder tap. I've never had problem restriking 7024 or 6011.

/ New Way To Restart A Rod? #7  
something just aint right here? do you buy your rod at kmart? has it been out in the weather for years? 7024 is supposed to be kept dry (oven) 6011 should start and restart like nothing? I really don't know what too tell you but something is really wrong? you have a good ground? maybe the welding machine? does it have different outputs (plugs) for higher amperages? if it does you will get more voltage out of it there and that will make it start easier?

/ New Way To Restart A Rod? #8  
Some day when the planets line up you will expierience " Hot Start "..Then your problems will all be solved..Until you have Arc Force..Then as a Stick Welder guy..You will be in Stick Weld Heaven.Good Luck Until Then...

/ New Way To Restart A Rod? #9  
Don't laugh, but welding at supper hour always gives me trouble. I believe it is due to all the ovens being turned on causing voltage drop on the line.
OK, true that I am at the end of the main line but it is an actual fact.

/ New Way To Restart A Rod? #10  
The only rods that need to be kept in an oven are low hydrogen rods such as 7018, 8018, etc. That said, an oven is only required if you're doing work that has to meet code requirements. For 99.9% of anything that someone on this forum might weld, all you need are dry rods. 6010/6011 need some moisture in the coating and all other rods just need to be kept dry and out of a high humidity location.