Need some info

/ Need some info #1  

kencunningham

Silver Member
My neighbor said he had a chance to buy a 220v single phase miller mig welder for 400 bucks, so i told him it sounded like one heck of a deal. What he actually got was a dialarc 250 ac/dc with a seperate spool gun attachment. He only has a 60 amp circuit to his shop. Can he hook this up and try to run it as long as he doesnt go over 50% rated output? One other question is, how much is this thing worth? It looks like it was taken care of, but im sure it has some age to it.

Any other info you can give would be helpfull. I downloaded the manual from miller and i see the first thing we need to do it check the voltage lugs to see how they are set, right?

/ Need some info #2  
The old dial arc is a 1ph machine and will run on a 60 amp breaker providing you dont dead short it at 250 amps. The dial arc was a Stick unit unless it says 250 HF on the front. ( of course you could scratch start a tig rig with it ).Is there a seperate box to run the spool gun? I know the Shop Master had a spool gun option. Not sure if the dial arc did. Hook it up and enjoy it. You will be able to put it in your will.Stick Weld like a dream. Good Luck.

/ Need some info
Yes, the wire feeder is seperate and has slots in the bast that look like they are made to fit over the lifting lug that is on top of the dialarc. There was allso a small box that was connected to the wire feeder, but i didnt really look that over well. That box should be the power supply for the wire feed, right?

/ Need some info #4  
Sounds like a decent deal.

I agree and think you will be fine on the 60A in all but the most demanding conditions. IT is unlikely that anyone would max out the welder totally. 250A is alot for just a home shop...

/ Need some info #5  
If the 250 was spool gun capable, it would need that control box and or another box that the gun plugs into.

/ Need some info
If if it doesnt rain today maybe we can get all the cables untangled and set the spool feed on top and take some pics of it. To set it up for shielded core wire do i hook the ground cable to positive (DC) and the gun to the negative (DC) on the output of the welder, or is that backwards? Im not at home to look how my little mig welder is set up. Thanks for any help with this, Ken