Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues.

/ Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues. #1  

Inkomodius

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 275, JD 6715
Hey,

Was wondering if anyone has some experience with wire feeders running off an engine drive.

My issue/s are: I have a Miller Trailblazer 325 EFi and a Miller 12rc (non voltage sensing) Wire feeder. For the first few days it ran great, but now when I go to initiate an arc off of low idle, it pops and sputters until it idles up. I called miller and they told me to bring it in as there is a TSB on the fuel pump. So thats all fine and dandy, untill I find out the 12rc wire feeder cannot run off my Lincoln Ranger (lincoln 12v, miller being 24.) So I went out and bought a 2012 Trailblazer with 106hrs on it, Hook up my wirefeeder and not only does it do the same thing comming off of low idle, but also sounds like a constant hum, almost like alternator feedback through a stereo but louder and constant when there is an arc. As well i am using the same cables 50 feet of 1/0, and 50' of remote cable, and the 302 is at about 33.5 volts to get a decent arc as compared to a similar arc off the 325EFI at 28 volts. Im guessing I am having issues with the 302 as well. I am running.045 Blueshield T9 Flux core with C25 gas.

So do I have me expectations to high and should always expect a crappy arc off low idle ( this is annoying for fitting/tacking) and yes I have hooked up the 12rc to an XMT350 and it run perfect, you can't tell a difference from it to a 22a stationary wire feeder.

If anyone has some ideas that would be great as this is my first wire feeder off an engine drive.

Thanks.

/ Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues. #2  
What happens when you kick the rpm's up before you strike an arc? I think that is how you will need to run it if you opt to keep that feeder.

/ Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues. #3  
Contact Shield Arc here on the forum, or maybe he'll show up. I believe he's had as much experience running those as anyone. Maybe he has some pointers.

/ Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues. #4  
I don't have an engine-driven machine, but here's the 325 manual

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o249795d_mil.pdf

Check on page 5-11 - "Contact closure to A completes 24 volt AC contactor
control circuit and keeps engine at Run
speed in all Wire modes. "

Maybe the wires or contacts that do that on your setup have a bad connection? I would look for something that's common to both of your attempts, since the newer machine didn't fix it. Just a thought... Steve

/ Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues. #5  
I had a trailblazer back in the 80's with a suitcase mig, it worked very well and the welder always idled up. :confused3:

/ Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues. #6  
I never had that kind of Trailblazer. I had a Trailblazer 55D with an S32S feeder if I remember correctly. When running wire I always left the engine in high RPM.;)

Attachments

• Feeder.jpg
    Feeder.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 743
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 630
   / Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues. #7  
I've heard of a couple TB 325's that had a problem with the boards or something in them. It should be covered on warranty. I had a TB 55 like Shield Arcs and ran an S-54 feeder of it. It didn't have auto idle like the newer models but if I recall , even on the newer models like Shield Arcs, you didn't use the auto idle when using CV and a wire feeder. Do you have the excel power option on your TB 325? Try it at full throttle and see if works properly.

/ Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues.
Yeah so I have had both millers in the shop for the last week, my 302 is out and I will hook it up to the wire feeder tomorrow and see how it runs, they replaced the board and a line filter on it. Load tests OK. As for the 325 that's another story. So fuel pump and control board were changed and I got it back last week, on one 3/4" plate full pen, half way though each pass the machine would go cold on me and engine would bog down, so back it went. So on the 325's there is a ground screw for the EFI control board, and had backed out. As well as a heat sink being corroded. So all in all I am regretting going with Miller. Sure it burns a lot less fuel but now I am paying out the area to rent another machine. And now the Ranger 305 EFI came out today.......

/ Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues. #9  
That Trailblazer 55D I had, made nothing but money with it! But was never impressed with the arc. :thumbdown:

/ Miller Engine drive/Wire feeder issues.
I made a lot of money with my lincolns, these millers are costing me money. Funny because I love my 252, 140, and I have a Multimatic 200 on order. Its just their engine drives. I think its time to get the old Classic rebuilt and get another LN-25 wire feeder. I will say that Miller's customer service has been great. But that doesn't make me money.