This kind of neighbor is good to have!

/ This kind of neighbor is good to have! #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
My neighbor just called and said he had a proposition for me. The engine mounting bracket on his 15-year-old Craftsman mower cracked and he and his wife had decided it was time to replace it (with a new 500 series Deere--sweeeet). Since he knows I weld, he asked if I wanted to try to fix it, or, heck, part it out if I wanted to, as long as I came and got it out of his garage right now. Did I mention he also makes the best dang red velvet cake with cream-cheese icing I ever had, and regularly stops by to bring us a couple pieces?

I think we've got two extremes, here on TBN. Shield Arc's neighbor lady who's taking down his fence on one hand, and my neighbor on the other. Woo hoo! If anybody lives in the Knoxville area and needs a plumber, let me give you a referral. It's the least I could do for him.

I stuck this thread in Welding so that I could follow up with any repairs I end up doing. It may be a bit, though, as my "projects" list is starting to get a little long.

/ This kind of neighbor is good to have! #2  
The neighbors that live on either side of me are that way . One is a retired fire captain , the other is a repair man for the local power company . Although one is a great electrician and the other a pretty darn good carpenter , they both lack , shall we say , " Country Sense " and really lack mechanical skills . Thus that is were I come into the picture . I am not a expert in anything , but I have decent knowledge in quite a few things , So it is a trade off , We all just sort of work together and help each other . It sure make's life more enjoyable .

I remember my Dad bought a new riding mower like back in the early '70's , Dang thing would scalp the lawn no matter how it was set . So he pulls out a level , lays it on the mower deck and if you went by the setting hole numbers , it had to be set like 1 in the front and 4 or 5 in back to get level . Would not cut that way though as it bound up the belt drive . He ended up loading it into his pickup , took it to work and in the shop there , they built custom axle brackets and moved the entire rear axle down like 3"'s . Then took it to the local Auto parts store and they went through a couple of dozen belts for the drive to find one that would have adjustment both ways . After That the thing was pretty darn cool . All of us kids did not mind mowing the lawns from then on , actually would fight over it .

Fred H.

/ This kind of neighbor is good to have! #3  
That is what "Good Neighbors" tend to do. I have four neighbors like that. While I was cutting some firewood for a neighbor the other day, I left an old wheelchair by the tree. I use it at times while working outside. When one of the neighbors came home from work, She called me to see if I was okay. BTW, You have a good neighbor, so this shows that YOU are also a Good Neighbor.

/ This kind of neighbor is good to have! #4  
I couldn't imagine a carpenter or electrician who lacked mechanical skills. Most all of those guys I know can do about anything.

/ This kind of neighbor is good to have! #6  
Utility Repair man had a riding mower that quit , not a clue why . Asked if I would help load it to take to shop .

" Sure , But can I look at it first " ?

" Yea , Dont know if it is even any good anymore " .

First Look , Spark plug wire is on , but the boot end on plug is broke . I could lift the wire off the plug without any pressure . Kept looking . Plug has so much rust around bottom against head , I asked if it had ever been replaced . He did not think they had to be ??? ( No Joke , Thought it was some sort of " Special " plug ) . Now this is not to old a machine , So I was guessing plug was 3 to 5 years old , maybe original . Which made me think , new enough maybe oil level ? Sure enough , oil Level was about half way been the add mark and bottom of stick . Added a quart , used pliers to crimp wire back on old plug , Turned the key and PRESTO , thing started right up . Ran kind of rough , So I had him write down the model number and engine , go to a shop in town during the week for parts . Even Drained oil and refilled . Thing has been running like a champ since spring .:)

Retired Fire Captain's Wife has a diesel Dodge for her horse trailer . Came over and asked if I knew any good repair shops for diesel pick ups ??

Why ??

Truck Starts but won't Go .

So , I am thinking transmission , it is a auto .

Walk over to take a look an from at least 40' or 50' away I could see something hanging down from truck underneath ???? From 20' / 25' away I recognized it as the back end of the drive line ????? :cool:
We jumped into my pick up and ran to auto parts and got a new U joint . Was not to Difficult to replace since other one was virtually in pieces . Did not look like a sealed u joint as it had a hole for a zerk but no zerk and more importantly , No Grease !!! Dry like the Desert . Couple that with kind of " Gunning it " when he tried to pull it up from were they park it , pretty much toasted that u joint . Thing was He also never heard it break or hit ground . :ashamed: ( This is the same neighbor who is color blind , So with that in mind , HE DOES NO Electrical hook ups or wiring !!!!!

Both couples are really super nice and Great Neighbors but as I stated Lack " Country Sense " .

Now the 2 neighbors that live below me and off corner of us , Sounds to me like they may be related to Shield Arcs Neighbor !!! :mad:

Fred H.

/ This kind of neighbor is good to have! #7  
Around here we count on each other not people from the city . Bought a new Land Plane and did 4 driveways.

/ This kind of neighbor is good to have!
A few quick snapshots for y'all.

2013-08-17 21.00.51.jpg

Here's the old girl.

2013-08-17 21.01.07.jpg

The broken motor mounting bracket. I'm torn whether to just weld it up or reinforce it somehow. On the one hand, it ran for fifteen years as it was. On the other hand, it's not a mystery why it cracked.

2013-08-17 21.01.31.jpg

A repair to the frame, done by another hack welder much like myself. Neighbor said it was cracking.

/ This kind of neighbor is good to have! #9  
That is a Deal that you cannot walk away from !!! Heck the motor alone is worth some serious $$$$ .

Fred H.

/ This kind of neighbor is good to have!
That is a Deal that you cannot walk away from !!! Heck the motor alone is worth some serious $$$$ .

Yeah, yeah. No doubt. If I make any money from it, I'll definitely send some his way. It seems rock solid, though, and at 50" and 22.5 HP, puts my 42" / 14.5 HP Murray to shame, so I may end up just keeping it... Either way, I owe him big time!