miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy??

/ miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy?? #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
miller252.jpg

Good evening all! I just saw this posting on C/l but it is actually several weeks old. I would love to get it, but don't want to get burned with something that does not work. You know the saying if its too good to be true is usually is. The guy said its only three years old with maybe about 100 hours on it (how does one know how many hours are on a welder, if there is no hour meter on them) At first he wanted me to get it tonight (he is 2 hours away), with a story about someone else trying to buy it tonight, but when I said I would have to withdraw the cash from the bank (unless he wanted a check...no), suddenly tomorrow would be fine. He also said he paid over 3500$ for it and has no paper work? What are the odds it might be stolen? Anyway if the unit powers up, both displays work, and it lays a good bead, I am set, or is there more to check? Should I get a signed bill of sale for a welder?

Thank you to everyone who has any helpful responses.

/ miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy?? #2  
Man, that is a GREAT price, but the fact that no one grabbed it in several weeks is really odd. Is he letting you try it first? If not, I would consider passing.

/ miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy?? #3  
I've never used the 252, but have only heard good things about them. Maybe dig around on this site for the manual. I know my Miller Dynasty 300 has a hidden menu that tells how many hours are on it. Not sure the 252 has that option though. Take everything you can, and take it for a test drive before buying.

Millermatic 252 - MIG Wire Welder - Miller Welding

/ miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy?? #4  
get the serial number, and check with miller. They can tell you if it was reported stolen.

See if you can see it weld, if possible.
Look arround the gun to see if any rubber/plastic is melted.
Not much else you can inspect.

/ miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy?? #5  
That is a heck of a price/

Take it for a testdrive. Maybe pop the side cover off if he'll let you and look at the insides. If its filthy or rusty, it could have lots of hours or have been flooded.

Heck, at $700, Id already be there cash in hand. A test bead and Id be gone ASAP.

/ miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy?? #6  
I looked it up, pic looks like it went thru a sand storm. There's another even worse looking one in the pic (background) - personally, I'd look REAL close, take at least two LARGE friends and a Glock. That's just my impression, YMMV... Steve

Oh, and unless you take some flux core wire you won't be able to try it - says in the ad, "no gas". Good luck...

/ miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy?? #7  
Ask to weld with it and bring a few different sizes of test strips. If he wants to meet somewhere other than his home, forget it. Get a bill of sale before money changes hands. Take seven $100.00 bills and put six in one pocket and one in the other. Try to buy it for less and offer him $600.00 before you dig for the seventh. Let us know how you come out.

/ miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy??
1st I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I am sure I will have more questions in the future, and it is always nice to know that there are people willing to share their knowledge and advice. This became an almost all day ordeal, and a very, very long story, but here is the good news. It has a 25ft Bernard gun on it, and I got it for 650$ The bad news is as follows, the gun is shot, it has no grounding clamp& cable, and the ?mount? (plastic bracket) for the feed roller drive is broken. My initial budge was 1K$. I knew after seeing it I would be spending some money, but I think I will some come in below budget, and get a brand new gun out of it (not buying a replacement 25' Bernard gun). I have already dropped it off at a very higly respected (honest, fair, and very reasonable) welding service shop (that's all they do), and should be good as new in a few weeks. Oh, and the service tech said its a mid year 2007 model if anyone needs to know.

/ miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy?? #9  

Attachments

• 30$ rack.jpg
    30$ rack.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 347
   / miller 252 for 700$ ?!? What do I need to check before I buy?? #10  
Started with a 180 Miller,used. Then a used Lincoln 255. Seemed like the voltage varied due to the looks of the bead. Had it three years. Found a 252 Miller. One year old with paperwork and 90% of a large roll of wire plus a forty foot cable extension. It has a 15' Benard gun which works very well. The owner was in the process of rebuilding an older semi tractor and was not a welder. I paid fifteen hundred for it which may have been a little high but there isn't a scratch on it and the gun looks new. It welds like a cadillac. Much better than the Lincoln in my estimation.
A 252 in my area would not last a day on CL. I posted an ad for one and he had just decided to sell so it worked out great. Best new price was $2100 plus tax.