Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #1  

paulharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L285
I picked up a torch set sunday. It has 2 full sized oxy and 2 small acetylene tanks. They have been stored at in-laws garage for years, possible decades for the acetylene tanks. How do I find out if I can get them filled? Obvious choice would be to just go down and try, But I've heard of gas suppliers seizing tanks if you can't prove there yours. These are or should be owner tanks, but nobody has paper work.

The acetylene tanks are about 2-2.5' tall and about 6" diameter, the oxygen, one is about 6' tall by 6" diameter and other is roughly 6' by 8". I don't have picks, was too dark, but I can get some tonight.

How rusty can an acetylene tank be, and be safe or more importantly how rusty be no one will refill.

If I use oxy-propane can I use the acetylene tanks for argon or CO2?

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #2  
If they are that old you may want to have them checked any-way.They won't fill acetylene tanks with argon or Co2.Different tanks for a reason.Why take a chance,you have nothing invested.Trade them for new(er) and tested tanks.They should give you some kind of credit for the old tanks.
You may want to have your torch rig inspected also.Keep any oils away from the oxygen tank and regulator.You are dealing with 2000 psi.

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks
CNC Dan said:
any company name on the neck ring?

I didn't see any, but ill check closer tonight. There are numbers stamped in it, but I didn't see a name

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #5  
Seems as every area is done differently. In my area the welding supplies use a decal with a big P to identify customer owned bottles. You'll never know until you take the bottles to your local welding supply and ask.

Here is a chart that may help you identify what size bottles you have.

Attachments

• P owned.JPG
    P owned.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 1,061
  • cyl_sizes.jpg
    cyl_sizes.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 9,619
   / Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #6  
......... I've heard of gas suppliers seizing tanks if you can't prove there yours. These are or should be owner tanks, but nobody has paper work.

They can refuse to fill them, but more than likely they have no legal ability to sieze them. If they try, offer to call the cops for them

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #7  
Everywhere I've been, you leave your empty and take a full bottle. They don't refill yours for you. You never get the same tank twice, or see yours again.

Bruce

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #8  
paulharvey said:
I didn't see any, but ill check closer tonight. There are numbers stamped in it, but I didn't see a name

Thats a good sign. Some places will try to take them if they are from some other gas company. I think they have a bounty or something.
But with no company name embossed on the neck ring, they can't realy say that it isn't a customer owned tank. Stand your ground if they give you a hard time.
You can just take it to another LWS and try again.

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks
As always y'all have been a big help. Ill get some pics, take some measurement, and look over the numbers closer.

I probably wont be filling them for a bit, too many irons in the fire right now, but it was either me or the scrap metal man, and I hate to see anything usable go to scrap.

For someone who's only gas welding experience is a micro map-oxy rig (used only to burn bolt holes in 16 ga) , would propane or acetylene be better to learn on, cutting, heating, and possible brazing?

Edit: I know I need to look at multifuel hoses, but I think I will need hoses anyways, are they significantly more money?

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #10  
I bought my used torch off craigslist and it had one acetylene and 2 oxygen (an 80 and a 122_). When I took them to local welding supply, they charged me $30 IIRC per tank to retest the O2 tanks and nothing on the acetylene. I think the high pressure requires retest every 5 years. They set up an account for me that shows owner tanks so I just drop them off and pick up a different set, never get my old bottles back.