Farm trailer bed replacement

/ Farm trailer bed replacement #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
Not sure this is the right forum, but need some advice on repairing an all metal 4x8 trailer. The diamond plate is rusted out in the front, along with the 2" channel that ties it to the frame. Do I need to completely remove the old floor or can I just replace the front channel and repair the rusted front, and drop a new sheet of diamond plate?

This is a farm trailer and doesn't need to be road worthy. It just needs to haul wood and yard waste.

trailerfront.jpgtrailerbed.jpgtrailerbottom.jpg

Thanks,

/ Farm trailer bed replacement #2  
If you've got a torch or plasma, you could probably just cut out the cancer and weld in new... Steve

I would look close at the tongue though, make sure the rust hasn't gone too far -

/ Farm trailer bed replacement
Sadly, no torch or plasma here. Just looking for a quick fix so I can start hauling firewood. I'm behind!

Thanks,

/ Farm trailer bed replacement #4  
What do you think about cutting that channel out with a zip disc, and replacing it with say 4" x 4" angle iron?

/ Farm trailer bed replacement #5  
quick fix?

what abot a sawsall with metal blade.. or angle grinder and cutt3r wheel.

for emergency. just toss plywood int here and roll with it.

What do you think about cutting that channel out with a zip disc, and replacing it with say 4" x 4" angle iron?

That would be easier, but they used the 2" channel to raise the bed off the frame. Not sure why.

quick fix?

what abot a sawsall with metal blade.. or angle grinder and cutt3r wheel.

for emergency. just toss plywood int here and roll with it.

If I can get the front re-welded, I may just do that.

Thanks,

/ Farm trailer bed replacement #7  
I was thinking the 4" x 4" angle may get you out to some iron that was worth saving, also support the plywood inside the bed. What about spacing the angle iron up?

/ Farm trailer bed replacement #8  
if you can't re weld. drill and bolt. better than nuttin. and it's not going onthe road anyway.

I was thinking the 4" x 4" angle may get you out to some iron that was worth saving, also support the plywood inside the bed. What about spacing the angle iron up?

This is getting me thinking - what I needed. I'll head down to the barn tomorrow and see what I might be able to do quickly. My welding is shaky too, so simpler is better.

Thanks,