Help needed with welding table decision...???

/ Help needed with welding table decision...??? #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
I have a chance to buy a used 5' stainless steel table from a restaurant equipment auctioneer ...they just said 5' don't know the other measurement but it is $150 asking price...I just wonder...can I weld on stainless with my Mig/flux wire welder...? Can I weld to the table ...such as welding casters on the legs or a shelf below...? and if I can't do that and just left the table like it is ...can I weld on it..I think I read or heard about special steps to weld on stainless steel...I just don't want to do anything harmful to my health...Thanks.

/ Help needed with welding table decision...??? #2  
I've read where people have used 7018 to weld on stainless steel. I've never done it my self. Why not buy 5-pounds of stainless steel welding rod?

/ Help needed with welding table decision...???
I've read where people have used 7018 to weld on stainless steel. I've never done it my self. Why not buy 5-pounds of stainless steel welding rod?

Shield Arc....I have a Clarke 130 en...mig welder gas/ no gas and I am running flux core now,,,, I was just wondering if there are any saftey issues in welding on a stainless steel or galvanized steel table...I doubt it is galvanized but ...I don't know yet.,Thanks

/ Help needed with welding table decision...??? #4  
If it is galvanized try to weld it outside. If you can't weld it outside set up a fan to blow the smoke away from you. I just repaired a galvanized boat trailer for a friend, it was .095" wall rectangular tube. I used Lincolns NR-212 .045" self shielded flux core wire.

You can run stainless steel Mig, but you'll need a trimix gas.
Stainless Steel MIG Welding with Compact Welders

If it is galvanized try to weld it outside. If you can't weld it outside set up a fan to blow the smoke away from you. I just repaired a galvanized boat trailer for a friend, it was .095" wall rectangular tube. I used Lincolns NR-212 .045" self shielded flux core wire.

You can run stainless steel Mig, but you'll need a trimix gas.
Stainless Steel MIG Welding with Compact Welders

OK - thanks but if I get the table and don't want to weld any modifications on it but just use it to weld on for projects...is there anything I need to worry about using flux core wire to just weld on projects not the table itself...although I might have to tack weld to the table temporarily.....????

/ Help needed with welding table decision...??? #6  
The sparks from self shielded flux core will take a toll on the stainless steel table. Only time I've seen stainless steel tables used for welding were in clean rooms, Tig welding was the only process used.
I don't know if regular self shielded flux core will hold very well on stainless steel. They sell gas less flux core wire for stainless steel, but I've never used it.

Buy 308LFCO-035-01 Welder's Choice Stainless Steel (Gasless) Mig Welding Wire from UseEnco

/ Help needed with welding table decision...??? #7  
I have a chance to buy a used 5' stainless steel table from a restaurant equipment auctioneer ...they just said 5' don't know the other measurement but it is $150 asking price...I just wonder...can I weld on stainless with my Mig/flux wire welder...? Can I weld to the table ...such as welding casters on the legs or a shelf below...? and if I can't do that and just left the table like it is ...can I weld on it..I think I read or heard about special steps to weld on stainless steel...I just don't want to do anything harmful to my health...Thanks.

These stainless tables are not a great surface for welding mostly because the top is so thin. You'd really rather weld on a mild steel surface and have thicker than the 16 or 18 gauge steel used in those kitchen prep tables. In a pinch you could use the table as a flat surface and just get a piece of 1/4 inch plate to put on top as a welding surface.

For about $150 though you can get a Strong Hand portable table delivered to your door. http://store.cyberweld.com/webehabe300.html These are really very decent portable folding tables that are good enough to do basic welding tasks and will always be useful as a portable even if you build a much heavier and bigger table. I've had one for several years, no complaints.

These stainless tables are not a great surface for welding mostly because the top is so thin. You'd really rather weld on a mild steel surface and have thicker than the 16 or 18 gauge steel used in those kitchen prep tables. In a pinch you could use the table as a flat surface and just get a piece of 1/4 inch plate to put on top as a welding surface.

For about $150 though you can get a Strong Hand portable table delivered to your door. Strong Hand NOMAD Welding Table TS3020 These are really very decent portable folding tables that are good enough to do basic welding tasks and will always be useful as a portable even if you build a much heavier and bigger table. I've had one for several years, no complaints.

OK - Thanks Doc and Shield Arc....I will take a look at cyberweld table - I was hoping to be able to use this ...it is at least 5 ft. long and with stainless legs etc. it is a good heavy table...but I don't want to breath something bad etc....Thanks again guys...

/ Help needed with welding table decision...??? #9  
Spatter sticks like it's welded on with stainless. The table would be stainless if it was used in a restaurant for preparing food.

/ Help needed with welding table decision...??? #10  
I have a stainless table that came out of a Hardees. I think they rolled their biscuts on it. Splatter sticks like, well, likes its welded to it. I have planned for years to add a piece of flat plate to the top, otherwise it makes a pretty good table to work off of. Right height and plenty big enough.