Is there something wrong with my welding helmet?

/ Is there something wrong with my welding helmet? #1  

OutbackL130

Silver Member
Tractor
L130, 420
This is a picture from inside my Miller Elite for comparison.
ln62.jpg

These are from inside my speedglas 9002x flex view with adflo that I just bought used but in like new condition.
dlbv.jpg

1ktl.jpg

y1d5.jpg

/ Is there something wrong with my welding helmet? #2  
I also have a Digital Elite.
What are you thinking is wrong?

/ Is there something wrong with my welding helmet? #3  
Are the inside and outside cover plates new? Especially MIG welding the outer cover will get a film on it making it hard to see.

/ Is there something wrong with my welding helmet?
The discoloration you see in the last three pictures is exactly how my speedglas filter lense appears in person. I dont like how there are dark colored patches, kinda looks like a tv screen damaged by a magnet. Makes me wonder are my eyes being protected or was the filter lense somehow compromised.

I've been breaking in the speedglas for the past couple days and you really only notice the discoloration in light mode. I just assumed its how the speedglas was made. Then I got to doing a lot of fitting work today in light mode and realized there must be something wrong with this helmet.

My miller elite and other AD helmets are all evenly tinted green in light mode. I was wondering if anybody here uses a speedglas and could tell me this is normal for them?

/ Is there something wrong with my welding helmet? #5  
auto dark welding filters provide full UV protection in both the light and dark states.

/ Is there something wrong with my welding helmet? #6  
Take out all the clear lens and see if the rainbow effect goes away. I suspect this is caused by a faulty clear lens OR too many clear lens stacked together. If not the clear lens it must be something wrong with the filter plate. Perhaps a good cleaning of Speedglas lens and clear lens with a cloth moistened with Windex(I advise not wetting the auto-dark lens directly) would remove the discoloration.

/ Is there something wrong with my welding helmet? #7  
Hmm.. this almost looks like a Moire pattern to me.. try turning one of the cover lenses 90 degrees if that is possible (if they are the same dimension on all sides). Also does the pattern appear in sunlight or only under florescent light? Just grasping at straws here, I don't really know.

James K0UA

/ Is there something wrong with my welding helmet? #8  
Perhaps someone forgot to remove that protective film?

/ Is there something wrong with my welding helmet? #9  
Hmm.. this almost looks like a Moire pattern to me.. try turning one of the cover lenses 90 degrees if that is possible (if they are the same dimension on all sides). Also does the pattern appear in sunlight or only under florescent light? Just grasping at straws here, I don't really know.

James K0UA

Could be moire. Could be strain patterns in the glass possibly due to clamping stresses on the edge of the glass. Could be interference fringes due to non-uniform glass thickness.