Craftsman Commercial Lathe

/ Craftsman Commercial Lathe #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
Any Idea what a Craftsman Commercial Lathe is worth these day?. It is old likely from the 70's or so but I'm not sure. It is probably in decent shape though it has not been used in a long time. I was able to turn it on but don't have any training or skills to use it. crafts man commercial.jpg

/ Craftsman Commercial Lathe #2  
Unfortunately, your photo is too small to really see any details, but keep in mind that tooling will likely cost as much as the lathe. I would look at Grizzly or one of the other import tool suppliers to see what something similar in size might cost you.

/ Craftsman Commercial Lathe
Well I really am just thinking about a fair price to sell it for and haven't seen much as far as pricing.

/ Craftsman Commercial Lathe #4  
I am pretty sure that is actually a South Bend brand lathe re-badged as Craftsman. South Bend still exists today, you might ask if it was made by them and re-badged. You would get much more interest if you advertized it as a South Bend (if it indeed is of course) rather than a Craftsman.

/ Craftsman Commercial Lathe #7  
I think it is a 12" Atlas/Clausing lathe badged as Craftsman for Sears. Model number might be 101.28990. Without tooling or accessories I would guess it to probably go for between $400-$500 in good shape. Not really a "commercial/industrial" quality lathe ( although Sears called them "commercial") but still a decent machine for a hobbyist.

/ Craftsman Commercial Lathe #8  
Condition, Condition, that is what determines the worth. Your pic doesnt show much details, so its hard to put a value on the machine. I have seen the Atlas lathes sell for anywhere from $200-300, up to around $1000. It all depends on which model, wear and tear, and the amount of tooling that goes with it. You can easily spend two or three times the purchase of a lathe just buying the tooling you need to actually use the lathe. Where in Tn are you located, I might be interested in buying, but I would want to look at it before even making an offer.

/ Craftsman Commercial Lathe #9  
Any Idea what a Craftsman Commercial Lathe is worth these day?. It is old likely from the 70's or so but I'm not sure. It is probably in decent shape though it has not been used in a long time. I was able to turn it on but don't have any training or skills to use it.View attachment 346640

If the ways under the chuck are in good shape, and the rest of the lathe is in decent shape, it could easily be worth at least half or more of a JET or grizzly brand of similar size. Decent, similar sized new stuff costs $3000 or more. It is common to have to replace any plastic or rubber parts, oil sight gages etc. Do you have any tooling with it? Does is spin relatively smoothly without bearing noise? Remember to make sure there is oil in it. Might want to change it. Wipe the ways with 30 wt oil before you start moving it back and forth. Usually the tooling is in the cabinet.

The base is worth a couple hundred itself. I would say if you have a bit of tooling, tailstock works, steady rest complete, it would be worth up to $1000. So many hobbyist that want something like this in their garage to make stuff. These are very handy to have if you know how to use them.