Finally decided on welding machine

/ Finally decided on welding machine #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
For quite some time I have been wanting my own welder. The In-laws have an old stick machine on the farm I'd been using for years. I was OK on heavier materials, but when it came to lighter gage metal and sheet metal, it was really tough.

Monday the supplier will deliver a Millermatic 175. It comes with pretty much everything but the shielding gas cylinder, and I ordered some extra stuff for starters. First I'm trying flux core wire. Maybe when I get next month's allowance there will be a cylinder showing up.

There has been a lot of info here, and the guys in the weld shop at work were also helpful in answering questions and making suggestions. Thanks to everyone for the information you posted........................chim

/ Finally decided on welding machine #2  
Chim,

That is a good welder. I am sure you will get a lot of use out of it.

Sounds like time for you to stop by

The hobart welders site

If you have not already. Lots of good people and advice there. Not as good as TBN though...as there seems to be a little more tolerance for the kind of people most of us here would rather have go somewhere else.

But it is still a real good welding site...stop by if you have not already been there... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Finally decided on welding machine
Henro, thanks for the invitation. I know there's a lot to learn. That sounds like a good resource.

I was talking to our weld shop Foreman today, and mentioned that I might take an adult ed course. He told me to come out to the shop and they'd give me all the help and one-on-one instruction I want.........................chim

/ Finally decided on welding machine #4  
That's a nice welder. Good luck with it! One suggestion..think about leasing a tank from your local welding shop. Small tanks are usually real cheap to lease and will get you going quick without the initial cash outlay. It's also a good way to decide on what size tank you'd like to have.

/ Finally decided on welding machine #5  
Hey i was looking at millers today. i bought my oxy /ace. tanks this morning and was asking about the millers. i decided on the way home i am going to have to build and sell some more deer stands and get me one.
Let us know how you like that 175 to give me a push to want one also. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Finally decided on welding machine #6  
The Millermatic 175 is a great machine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just for information TSC is selling a Hobart 175 complete with Cart, Filled tank, Auto Darking Helmet, Gloves, and other accessories for $698.00.
Take it home and start using it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Finally decided on welding machine #7  
I have had a Millermatic 175 for 2 years now. It's been used for auto body work, structural projects and a couple of tractor projects including a very heavy duty landscape rake and carryall.

I only use solid wire with shielding gas and have had no problems with welding up to 1/2 inch plate (with multiple passes) but it does weld 1/8 to 1/4 inch steel fantastically.

Spend some time and get used to the dial settings. Buy plenty of extra tips and at least 2 wire diameters (.024 and either .030 or .035).

Get a good auto darkening helmet and have fun.

/ Finally decided on welding machine #8  
I have the Hobart Handler 175, too. Mine just came with the cart and retailed at $600 so that deal with everything else included for just $100 more is a real bargain.

/ Finally decided on welding machine #9  
I have the Miller 210 and really like it. It came with an auto darkening helmet and an aluminum spool gun.
I have been taking a welding class at the local technical college and have really liked it.
I ordered my metal for two different projects that I will end up using two different processes on.
The first project is a wood crib. I will use the solid wire for that on the MIG.
The second project is a grapple for the tractor. That one I am making out of T1 plate with 2 inch square tubing with 1/4 inch wall. Here is a drawing of the grapple parts. The circles are cut out for weight, the squares will have square tubing through them.
I have the metal place plasma cutting 7 of each piece. For this project I will be using dual shield with my 210. I want the deeper penetration with fewer passes.
I will post pictures when I get my steel.

Attachments

• 326630-TractorClaw.gif
    326630-TractorClaw.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 407
   / Finally decided on welding machine #10  
Skeptic

Someday I hope to get to this same project. I certainly have uses for such an attachment with all the blackberries, brush, and rocks on my property. It’s a constant battle.

I used a miller 210 to build a small ATV trailer and really liked it. It was my friends. He is metal nut and has worn out one wire hose already. I shouldn’t say already because he uses it constantly. After moving to the farm I eventually bought an ESAB multimaster 260 for my shop and have loved it. I am amazed how often I use it and how it has saved me money. I have built a high capacity bucket, sifting bucket, hydraulic auger and several other things with it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This last week I used it to repair my truck. I was getting the kids ready for school and pulled the truck out in front of the house and parked it facing uphill. The trouble is I jumped out and ran into the house without putting the transmission in park. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif My boy was heading out to the truck and yelled to me as the truck drove off by itself down our drive way and across the road into the neighbors 3’ deep ditch. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It smashed the bumper and ripped a bracket off the frame. I replaced the bumper and welded the bracket back on truck. Thanks to the welder and a little labor on my part I go away with only $250 bill. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I wouldn’t have been surprised if a shop would have wanted $1000 for the same repair. I wish I had a picture of my 8 year old daughter pulling the bumper back away from the tire with the skid steer so that we could take them to school. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifIt was one of those moments that make you take a double take and think wow she is growing up but at the same time she sure does look small in that tractor.

Sorry about the rambling. Back to the subject. A nice welder is really handy.

Eric
<font color="green"> A couple of tractors and a 01’ F350 with a new bumper </font> /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif