First welder advice

/ First welder advice #41  
I have successfully welded 16 gauge with stick. 1/16 inch sticks of 6013. But I am no fan of 6013. But today, I would be TIGing it I guarantee you. Light sheet material is difficult and darn sure is something you want to try after you get "good" at welding much heavier material. Also make sure you have a DC welder and control of your heat in small increments so you can dial in the correct heat. Your old switch tapped buzzbox is not ideal here. But a TIG torch and regulator for your DC machine is about $100, and of course you will need to come up with a bottle of argon, either rent or buy, according to what is done in your area.

James K0UA

/ First welder advice #42  
The PA 200ST would give you the capability of stick welding about anything, and then with an optional torch, TIG welding the thinner material, down to about .020...or so.

/ First welder advice
The PA 200ST would give you the capability of stick welding about anything, and then with an optional torch, TIG welding the thinner material, down to about .020...or so.

Thanks Mark. I looked for the 200ST on your site and could not find it. Do you have a link for that one?

/ First welder advice #44  
A few more questions if I may... How light of material can I do stick welding? I will probably want to do some decorative/artistic work from time to time such as making bases for tables, podiums, etc. Would this change the recommendations from my first set of criteria or can I do that also with stick?

Did alot of tank repair and after awhile you get good at the thin stuff [rust]. Anyway like Shield said it depends on your ability. I stick welded a worn out aluminum scoop shovel on a bet. So you can go real thin with practice. CJ