Bought a Miller Multimatic 200

/ Bought a Miller Multimatic 200 #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Before I unbox it and crank it up?. Does anybody have experience with this machine? Should I go ahead and make it a "used" machine or return it, and in that case what is a better portable?

I've been using a 120v Miller 135 for 8 years and it suits about 90% of my needs. When it's windy outside I need a stick welder. Sometimes I have to weld thicker than 1/4". I do not weld commercially, only for personal projects. 30% Duty cycle is more than adequate. Portability is important. I have no useful TIG experience except screwing around once with no instruction. I bought the spoolgun too but haven't bought anything else for Aluminum yet.

Would be great to hear from anyone who is UNHAPPY with this machine as a MIG or a stick, NOT just by reading the specs or reading on the internet but actual use.

Genuine experience SPECIFICALLY with regard to the MultiMatic 200 on steel projects (less than 3/8" steel) will help the most.

/ Bought a Miller Multimatic 200 #2  
I think only you can answer that question. Try it out and see if it does what you want and if you like how it works. Did you buy it at a discount or something? It seems odd to be asking about it after the fact. :confused:

/ Bought a Miller Multimatic 200
Not a big discount, just the Buy Blue 10% rebate. Its odd that the universe has conspired to allow no time to even unbox it but does allow time for internet access :confused:.

During this time I have come across a lot of negative comments about the Multimatic 200 but its not apparent that these comments are based on experience with the machine. Just need some truth. :D

/ Bought a Miller Multimatic 200 #4  
I tested one. It's a nice machine although it steps way outside of the "usual" Miller MIG product line. It's a lot more complicated with a lot more features. As far as negative comments, I believe I've seen a couple of other people here buy one but have no negative things to say or report back yet. What "negative" I have seen have been related to people hearing that its largely imported instead of built here.

There won't be too many things you can't do, especially if you have the spool gun. The DC TIG won't allow aluminum welding but the spool gun will for all but thinner gauges of material.

/ Bought a Miller Multimatic 200 #5  
The Multimatic was a hurry up welder sourced quickly to get market share due to multiple brands of Mig Tig Stick welders overwhelming sales. I ran one. for 1/2 hour and thought it was fine. The only thing I wasn't so fond of was that they hurried up and crammed it in that plastic box. Very small controls.. Some don't seem to mind. The big concern to most potential buyers is that it's a little overpriced. All in all i'm sure it's a good unit. Not much junk out there anymore. ( excluding HF ).

/ Bought a Miller Multimatic 200 #6  
The Multimatic was a hurry up welder sourced quickly to get market share due to multiple brands of Mig Tig Stick welders overwhelming sales. I ran one. for 1/2 hour and thought it was fine. The only thing I wasn't so fond of was that they hurried up and crammed it in that plastic box. Very small controls.. Some don't seem to mind. The big concern to most potential buyers is that it's a little overpriced. All in all i'm sure it's a good unit. Not much junk out there anymore. ( excluding HF ).

That was my first opinion too of the case, though I had to remind myself a lot of people like that case on the wire feeders, so I figured that's why they settled for it. I'm not sure if that's a negative or not. I could see where it might be a little flimsy, but then in flexibility there is strength in a manner of speaking.

/ Bought a Miller Multimatic 200 #7  
For those of you that have used the MM200, can you switch back and forth from MIG to Stick without pulling all the wire out of the gun liner? For occasional Stick work it would appear that you could leave the wire loaded, disconnect the MIG wire hot lead, attach your Stick electrodes, select SMAW and go.

/ Bought a Miller Multimatic 200
The Multimatic was a hurry up welder sourced quickly to get market share due to multiple brands of Mig Tig Stick welders overwhelming sales.

I saw that Lincoln has a mig tig stick combo welder but couldn't find any of the other big names.
What other brands are Miller competing against for the mig-tig-stick combo market?

/ Bought a Miller Multimatic 200 #9  
Multi process capability though has been available a long time in the larger classes by many companies. But this smaller market is where Miller was late to the game....Let's see:
ESAB had their multimaster 160 for several years, as far back as the early 2000's??? Can't remember when exactly. Have had the multi masters for years. They discontiued it...but I heard good things about it.
Everlast came out with their first small MTS in mid 2010.
TA came out with theirs a year or so later in the US with theirs. Longevity's is roughly the same unit with a little later release.
HTP has had one for a while, not sure the exact time it came out, but their MTS160 has been around.

Lincoln as far as I know doesn't have a 'suitcase' size MTS yet.

/ Bought a Miller Multimatic 200 #10  
Yeah, been eyeing the Multimatic 200 for homeowner/hobbyist use. What other MTS are out there for less money? I am not as concerned about the portability especially if it comes with a much higher price tag for similar features/rating.