Powerarc 300 review

/ Powerarc 300 review #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
Last Friday afternoon I called up Mark and ordered a Powerarc 300. He was very helpful in answering my questions. My machine showed up today. 3 business days California to Texas ain't bad. The machine was nicely packaged and the first thing I had to do was install the power plug as it does not come with one because it can run on single or three phase. I don't know if it was just the 15 degree weather or what but the power cord was very stiff and kind of difficult to work with putting the plug on. Not a big deal but I wire up a lot of things and this was the stiffest cord I think I have messed with in a while. The leads included are heavy duty but short. I did not measure them but maybe ten foot each. I have 100' leads on order but they are not here yet.

Maybe you guys up north can handle it but 15 degrees is darn cold for a Texas boy. My shop heater crapped out on me last week so it was cold and I didn't spend a lot of time with the machine but I had to burn a few rods before retreating to the warmth of the house. First test was some 1/8" 5p+ at 110 amps. It started easy and ran super smooth. Definitely better than my thunderbolt and even better than my trailblazer 302. I then welded a bead with a 5/32 7018 at 180 amps. Again super smooth. Aside from the smooth welding the machine runs smooth. My old thunderbolt was loud and when welding at higher amps it sounded like I was firing up an electric chair or something. The powerarc just purrs along and does not seem to be working hard at all.

I have not used it a lot but definitely am impressed and feel this was one of the most bang for the buck welding purchases I have made.

/ Powerarc 300 review #2  
definitely am impressed and feel this was one of the most bang for the buck welding purchases I have made.
Glad to see you say that.:thumbsup: When I say it people think I work for Everlast! :confused:

/ Powerarc 300 review #3  
The leads are 10'. It's one thing I want to change. I'm here in Texas also and have dragged my PA300 out to weld on good days. Even easy for a newby to make some decent welds.

Where did you order the 100' leads?

Another question that I have is how long do people leave the welder powered on when idle?

I have to move and adjust things and don't know about leaving it running but it can't be that good to keep powering on and off.

/ Powerarc 300 review #4  
The leads are 10'. It's one thing I want to change. I'm here in Texas also and have dragged my PA300 out to weld on good days. Even easy for a newby to make some decent welds.

Where did you order the 100' leads?

Another question that I have is how long do people leave the welder powered on when idle?

I have to move and adjust things and don't know about leaving it running but it can't be that good to keep powering on and off.

I power mine up when I need to start welding, and power it down when I am finished, or if just finished the last rod, and I was feeding it rods as fast as I could go, I wait a few minutes before power down to give it a chance to cool down if needed. I just lay the stinger down without a rod in it, and it is pretty well insulated, or you can lay it in a hard plastic or wooden bucket or something if you are worried about a flash.

/ Powerarc 300 review #5  
I only power down when I am going to be grinding. or when I don't want to hear the jet engine (the fan) God I love that fan.

/ Powerarc 300 review
I ordered my leads from welding supply dot com. I bought a 250' spool of 1/0 for $1.80 a foot. 100' is going on the power arc (60 stinger / 40 ground) and the other 150' is going on my trailblazer ( 90' stinger / 60' ground). I have mixed feelings on welding supply. They had the best prices I could find anywhere and their website says same day shipping in most cases. I placed my order at 9 am last Monday for the leads, 100lbs of welding rods and some misc stuff like electrode holders and what not.I got 50lbs of rods Thursday, the leads showed up today, the misc stuff shipped Friday, and the other 50 lbs of rods are supposed to ship Wednesday. Not a huge problem but I would use caution ordering from them if you are in a hurry.

/ Powerarc 300 review #7  
I turn mine on a few minutes before I start welding and power down just before getting ready to put it away for the day. Turn the power off and continues to run for shot time to cool the inverter.
Regarding noise: my 200ST is just as quite, if not quieter than my little 125amp mig.

/ Powerarc 300 review #8  
An inverter welder is essentially a computer with all of the boards, relays, and the like. Electrical equipment DOES NOT like to be cycled on and off. The power surge to components can cause serious damage or failure.

In the old days when electricity was cheap it was recommended to leave computers on 24/7. Things are different now and computers are throw-away devices so are not cared for as religiously. My first computer several years ago cost $5000. By today's standards its performance would be regarded as pathetic and not worth scrap prices. It was babied like a newborn back then.

As far as the welder goes, I turn mine on (PowerArc 200) when I am ready to start welding. It gets turned off when the last rod of the day is burned plus maybe a 10 minute cool off while other things are cleaned up.

/ Powerarc 300 review #9  
Good to hear all the reviews on the PA300. It will be in the budget soon. I still use my Lincoln 255 mig for most stuff but a good stick machine is nice to have so as not to have to run the engine driven welder. As far as the 15 degree weather heck that is a heat wave! we are almost to 20 degrees today and it feel warm compared to what we have been having. CJ