Utility Trailer Build - Finally

/ Utility Trailer Build - Finally #1  

polarred21

Gold Member
Tractor
Contemplating
After 30 years of collecting and procrastinating, decided to go ahead and build me a 6 x 14 utility trailer for general use. Most everything I already have and been gatherting scrap steel since before I went to welding school in 1982. Note that this is not cost effective for the price of trailers these days. Some of this iron has been relocated 4 times over the years waiting for this project and others. Had to weld some peices together to get the length I needed.
0124141340a.jpg100_2598.jpg0127141957.jpg0129141740.jpg0129141738.jpg0129141952.jpg

Made provisions to flip the trailer for fitting and welding:

/ Utility Trailer Build - Finally #2  
I am not sure you are getting the best strength out of the materials for the cross members with the channel being turned the "weak" way down flat like that. It'll work for sure but you may have wished for something different long term.

/ Utility Trailer Build - Finally #3  
Nice job. I'm thinking of building a trailer sometime to haul my garden tractor loader on.

Right now I'm using my dad's worksport utility trailer that he got from Home Depot to haul the tractor. But it's A bit flimsy and flexes way to much for my taste especially with this heavier garden tractor with loader attached.

I'm thinking I'll either use channel iron or some square tube. Just have to decide and then start gathering the materials too.

I'll definitely be going with the A frame for the hitch like yours vs the single bar hitch on my dads trailer.

Might be a project for me for next winter.

Chad

/ Utility Trailer Build - Finally #4  
We did a series a while back in the summer on building trailers, from tubing. A frames are hard to get centered exactly and can result in a trailer not pulling right if they are used by themselves without a center tube to tie things in. A combination of both center tube and A frame is the best.

/ Utility Trailer Build - Finally #5  
My trailer is much heavier but if I remember, the axles/A frame were triangulated to line everything up so it tracks straight. I did all the welding but the trailer was tacked in a trailer jig for me. I reluctantly had to trade my Trailblazer 55 for the trailer for my skid steer. I got a 14,000 GVW trailer and a couple thousand $$$ to boot. Sadly they rather abused the welder and ended up pulling the engine out to put in a skid steer. I think the welder only needed a new contactor and some fly-by-night repair shop told them it would cost 3 or $4000 to fix. They used the welder for quite a few years and are still using the Miller S-54 deluxe wire feeder on an electric machine in their shop though. I kind of cringe when I see the welder sitting there.

/ Utility Trailer Build - Finally #6  
Why angle for the sides then channel for the cross members?

/ Utility Trailer Build - Finally
I am not sure you are getting the best strength out of the materials for the cross members with the channel being turned the "weak" way down flat like that. It'll work for sure but you may have wished for something different long term.

I would agree. The factory made trailer I mimicked used 2x3x3/16 angle for crossmembers, so I fugured my 3" x 4.3# channel layed flat was at least as strong or not stronger than this thin angel iron.

Why angle for the sides then channel for the cross members?

Working out of my steel scrap pile, it was the only thing I had that was any length at all. The angle was only 12' so I still had to piece 2 feet onto each side rail.

Here are the fenders and the ramps going together. Made a slide in storage bracket behind the axle for the ramps. Ramps are a little heavy, but I used what I had. Also saved $30 by ordering fenders w/o the backs.

100_2624.jpg100_2623.jpg100_2621.jpg100_2615.jpg100_2614.jpg100_2613.jpg

Little bit of a safety issue each time I flip it so this is the last flip. I rolled it out of the shop for the first time down the ramp, and took it for a test drive.

/ Utility Trailer Build - Finally #10  
Little bit of a safety issue each time I flip it so this is the last flip. I rolled it out of the shop for the first time down the ramp, and took it for a test drive.
Apparently, your music ran afoul of the Youtube Censors...

Aaron Z