TIG Gloves

/ TIG Gloves #1  

dkf1998

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA, John Deere Model L
I am starting a TIG welding class on Monday and would like to know what you guys use. I have heavy welding gloves for stick, but they are old and thick. Can I use some mechanics gloves? I am not sure what equipment will be used at class, but at some point in the near future I will be purchasing a TIG welder with an air cooled torch.

/ TIG Gloves #2  
They do sell lightweight leather gloves that offer better dexterity when handling the TIG torch but you'd probably have to go to a welding supply shop. the TIG arc is brighter than most and will give a sunburn through a t -shirt so button up your shirt -

/ TIG Gloves #3  
TIG gloves discussion can create a knock-down drag out fight over what one person thinks is the best sensitiity versus those who concentrate on maximum comfort from heat and protection. It usually boils down to what you prefer.

Myself? I look for something with longer cuffs. TIG can get hot, and burning your wrist on something accidentally isn't my cup of tea. Kid skin is good. For something you can get that will last try Tilman's Black Onyx TIG gloves. That whole series is unquestionably one of the best series of welding gloves on the market.imho.

Tillman - ONYX

/ TIG Gloves #4  
Stop by the grocery store and pick up a pair of Ove-gloves. ;)

Attachments

• Ove-glove.jpg
    Ove-glove.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 100
   / TIG Gloves #5  
Kid skin is good - I remember having a pair of those years ago and they were about the best you could get at the time.

/ TIG Gloves
Stop by the grocery store and pick up a pair of Ove-gloves. ;)

Shield Arc, I read about those on Weldingweb, thanks. Do you use them?

/ TIG Gloves
TIG gloves discussion can create a knock-down drag out fight over what one person thinks is the best sensitiity versus those who concentrate on maximum comfort from heat and protection. It usually boils down to what you prefer.

Myself? I look for something with longer cuffs. TIG can get hot, and burning your wrist on something accidentally isn't my cup of tea. Kid skin is good. For something you can get that will last try Tilman's Black Onyx TIG gloves. That whole series is unquestionably one of the best series of welding gloves on the market.imho.

Tillman - ONYX

Mark, I actually did look at the Tilman's. Not a bad price either. I don't plan on TIG welding for long hours, I work on guns and the welding I do will usually only take a couple minutes. I think when i get my own TiG unit I will find a lot more uses so I want to be prepared. I will be welding for about three hour stretches at the class I'm taking, so I do want to be protected.

/ TIG Gloves
Yes I use them. I'm the one who gave Zap the idea.;)

I am going to get a pair of Tilman's, but I will check a pair of those out also. You can't have too many gloves.

/ TIG Gloves #10  
I have used pigskin, goatskin even brown cotton gloves while TIG welding. You need gloves with a long cuff so you don't blister your wrist with UV light and they need to be supple enough that you can walk the wire down with your fingers rather than stop to get another hold. Some folks will freeze the wire in the puddle and relocate their hand, but I always preferred to walk the wire down so I kept my hand away from the hot flame.