Best propane/ mapp torches for the money?

/ Best propane/ mapp torches for the money? #1  

diesel lover

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferg. To 20, 1956 Massey F. MF 25 diesel, Ferg. 40, 1944 John D. A, 1965 cockshutt 40,
I bought a propane/ map gas torch from lowes for 50$ and it worked well. I let someone borrow it and it didn't run right. It has a valve to adjust the flame and is self igniting. Its a TS8000 from bernzomatic I believe. Recently it slid off my tool box and the impact messed with the valve. I do not need a oxy act torch set as I have friends at nearby that will let me use theirs. Some day I will have my own but it would not be cost effective for me right now. I use a propane/ map torch for heating and removing bolts/ and nuts, removing decals, melting ice, starting fires and etc.

Can I get a good one at menards for 20$ ? I would like one for work and home/ camping

/ Best propane/ mapp torches for the money? #2  
I have a lenox that I am pretty happy with, and it's made in USA. One thing that I would check is that I am pretty sure the heads are different for mapp and propane. If you plan on using mapp, get a torch for mapp. I don't know if it's the mixture or what is the difference.

/ Best propane/ mapp torches for the money? #3  
If you are going to use the small disposible tanks they interchange. Blue is propane and yellow is the mapp. I am taking tie rods off today and will use my small Bernzomatic mapp. No need to get the tanks out and drag a hose. Works well on simple copper plumbing projects also.

/ Best propane/ mapp torches for the money? #4  
I have the Worthington Pro from Menards. Bougth one for my dad too. Then my sister bought one. So far so good. Only a year on mine, but I use it a lot, mostly for starting fires in the wood stove. Not USA made as I recall, but not China either, someplace funky, if I recall. The one I have has valve to adjust the flame. the ones my family members have don't. Those ones (no valve) were on sale recently for $15 at menards with a cylinder of MAPP, which is normally $7. Not a bad price. Don't think the adjustable ones were on sale, though.

/ Best propane/ mapp torches for the money? #5  
Oh, I forgot to mention. If you only want to use propane, you can also use the cylinders designed for Coleman appliances. It's the same thread pattern. I like those because they are short and fat and don't tip as easy.

/ Best propane/ mapp torches for the money?
I have a lenox that I am pretty happy with, and it's made in USA. One thing that I would check is that I am pretty sure the heads are different for mapp and propane. If you plan on using mapp, get a torch for mapp. I don't know if it's the mixture or what is the difference.[/QUOTE

Mapp gas is hotter than propane. It is more or less a mixture of Propane and acetelene. I have been using mapp for years on HD truck lugnuts, automotive ball joints etc. Of course an oxygen/ acet torch set works much better with seized parts.

Mapp gas bottles are eternally the same as a propane bottle. They DO have the same threads and fittings.

On a torch designed for mapp gas, you can also use propane but its risky and unsafe to use a torch designed for propane with mapp gas.

Also my father and I have been refilling 1 pound propane cylinders for use with a 20 gallon tank. Saves a lot of money over time.

I just recently bought 9 bottles of propane at Kroger for a $1 each!! What a deal!