Is my Miller Bobcat the wrong machine to learn to stick weld with?

/ Is my Miller Bobcat the wrong machine to learn to stick weld with? #1  

ENC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4600
I have a Miller Bobcat 225 I bought it used with the intention of having backup power and learning to stick weld. Has a very long electrode (120') and fairly long (75') ground leads. The machine runs great and the generator side powers everything I need it to when we are out of power. I have tried to learn to stick weld with it but so far haven't done very well. But I haven't had a lot of time to really trybeither. So far if I have needed mobile welding ability I have used the Bobcat to power my 220v mig unit.

I will not be in the welding trade. Mostly a personal interest and fixing things around the farm. Seems like the Bobcats have a bad reputation among pro welders. So my question is: is this a poor machine to try to learn with? If so should I still keep it for its generator and limited mobile welding. Should I get a buzz box or sell my mig unit and buy a combination unit that will do multi-process? Is running my Mig off the Bobcat a bad idea? Should I sell the Bobcat and get a better dedicated generator?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice. Also if it matters the mig is a Lincoln Power-Mig 175

/ Is my Miller Bobcat the wrong machine to learn to stick weld with? #2  
I've run a few Bobcats in my time. I was never impressed with there quality of arc. But at your level it shouldn't make one bit of difference to you. You have the machine why not use it? No need to go buy another welder.
One thing you might think about doing, it's a long shot, but maybe shorten the leads, you just might be getting a little voltage drop. Like I said that is a long shot, because I've had 400 + feet of lead out before, and didn't notice anything wrong with the welder.

/ Is my Miller Bobcat the wrong machine to learn to stick weld with?
OK. Thanks I haven't had any problems with it. My problems I mainly blame on myself. Lots of stuck rods stuff like that. When I get a good arc it seems to weld good for me. But I am a very green newbie.

/ Is my Miller Bobcat the wrong machine to learn to stick weld with? #4  
I have a Miller Bobcat 250NT Generator/welder. I'm not a professional welder but have welded many projects I've made over the past 40 years. I have 40' leads on mine which is plenty long enough for any job I've had to weld and it does a great job. I mostly use the DC mode. Since you already have it I think you can learn to stick weld without too much problem. I mostly use 3/32" or 1/8" rods mainly 6013 and 7018. I generally use mine a couple times a month.

Last edited:
   / Is my Miller Bobcat the wrong machine to learn to stick weld with? #6  
OK. Lots of stuck rods stuff like that. When I get a good arc it seems to weld good for me.

Try turning up the Amp/Voltage knob one number higher to avoid stuck rods.

/ Is my Miller Bobcat the wrong machine to learn to stick weld with?
I'm not 100% positive but I believe 6011 and 7018 all 1/8" and bought at Lowes. I think they are Hobart rods. I just bought what some people I worked with said are the most common rods. I plan on really practicing a lot this summer.

/ Is my Miller Bobcat the wrong machine to learn to stick weld with? #8  
I have a 250nt and like shield arc said they don't really knock anyone's socks off with the arc but that being said they work just fine. Where are you running the dials for 1/8" 7018?

/ Is my Miller Bobcat the wrong machine to learn to stick weld with? #9  
I don't have any problems starting rods, maybe the reason is I've started a few. But member here Furu comes over once in a while for me to help him with his welding. He was watching me weld, and I didn't even realize I did this! He said when I start the rod I raise the rod off the base metal a little bit. Once the rod gets going then I close up the arc length. A few things he brought to my attention, I didn't even know I did.:confused3: I guess in time it just gets to be a natural operation, and you don't even think about it.:D

For now stay away from 7018. Use 6010, or 6011, they are a lot easier to start. I really like Hobart's 335A 6011.

Attachments

• 335A.JPG
    335A.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 6011 Cap.JPG
    6011 Cap.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,100
   / Is my Miller Bobcat the wrong machine to learn to stick weld with? #10  
I don't have any problems starting rods, maybe the reason is I've started a few. But member here Furu comes over once in a while for me to help him with his welding. He was watching me weld, and I didn't even realize I did this! He said when I start the rod I raise the rod off the base metal a little bit. Once the rod gets going then I close up the arc length.
I do the EXACT same thing