Stick welding class, taking one finally

/ Stick welding class, taking one finally #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I just signed up for an arc welding class at the local vocational school. The class runs one 3 hour night a week for 8 weeks. I've been wanting to take a basic welding class for many years now and finally decided to give it a shot. I'm really looking forward to it as I've never welded before.

/ Stick welding class, taking one finally #2  
Have fun with the class :thumbsup:
If you need help post pictures and machine settings, lots of guys will try to help you learn.

/ Stick welding class, taking one finally #3  
Good deal! Have fun with it! The book will be just as helpful as the lab. Learn the principle of how and why, then you can do anything.

/ Stick welding class, taking one finally #4  
Good idea. Stick? MIG? TIG?

Learn to slow down and watch the puddle, not the arc (first step to becoming a proficient welder). You'll get the hang of it after burning your first 100 pounds of rod :thumbsup:

Good luck.

/ Stick welding class, taking one finally #5  
Very good idea to take a course. Have fun with it and ask lots of questions. :thumbsup:

/ Stick welding class, taking one finally
Thanks guys, flusher I'm taking the stick class. They also offer classes in MIG and O/A. A couple guys I spoke to said if I was wanting to start somewhere, stick would be a good start. I'm hoping to pick up a good used stick welder down the road and when I become proficient with it maybe give MIG a shot. I've got plenty of junk in the scrap pile to mess around with to practice when I get a welder.

/ Stick welding class, taking one finally #7  
Righto. Stick is the way to go. I learned on a Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC stick welder ($400 at Tractor Supply). If you plan to weld aluminum, MIG is the hot setup. For really thin metal, go TIG.

Class starts this coming Tuesday, can't wait. I tried a little experimenting with a friend's Miller MIG machine earlier today, first time trying it, had a blast. Looking forward to learning the basics of stick welding.

First class tonight. Basic classroom stuff. Very interesting though. I got to try running a couple beads at the very end. Definitely has a learning curve to it. Going to take a lot of practice. I'm lucky in that we have a small group of only five of us. Can't wait til next Tuesday!

/ Stick welding class, taking one finally #10  
I always preferred Miller to Lincoln stick welders as they give you a little amperage boost at the onset to help from sticking the rod when you try to strike the arc. A class is the best way to learn to weld and avoid some frustration. The "just go burn some rod" approach that some non welders advocate is risky, frustrating and wasteful.

Last edited: