Plug wielding---- when is it needed?

/ Plug wielding---- when is it needed? #1  

jakescia

Tractor
Cat 65C 75C 55 45
Note-------- what I know about welding is......... deeper the better.........so, with that in mind:

We just had a situation where the main two "beams" under a tandem-axle slurry tanker broke, just in front of the tank (where the greatest flex would occur). Have not figured why yet....applicator/tanker is not that old, is only 6000 gal, and is not "banged" over corn rows.....loaded or empty..........maybe just crap happens sometimes.

Anyway......... the fix is going to be ........ an upright plate, about 8ft long, 8inchs wide, and 3/8inches thick.........welded onto the vertical sides of the 7.5inch box metal that composes the two main beams under the applicator........both of which meet in front of the tanker, and V into the drawbar.

The plate will be slightly "taller" than the box metal.......and will be able to be welded on the shoulders of the box metal, so that a greater depth/amount of weld will be allowed.

My question.......... in that application------ plate onto the sides of box metal-------- is drilling holes in the plate and plug welding to the box metal needed?

Seems to me logical that it would provide much more support, but is that additional support necessary when the plate is going to be fastened pretty much all along the edges of the box metal? (I assume it will not be continuous weld, but rather skip-welded...every few inches)

I would assume that the flex is going to be pretty much taken out of the box metal, after two plates 3/8 inches thick are welded to the vertical sides of each of the box metal "beams".

Your comments will be appreciated------ thanks.

/ Plug wielding---- when is it needed? #2  
On a wider plate plug welds will add strength and not allow any deflection of the beam under load. They will work similar to if you bolted the plate to the beam.

/ Plug wielding---- when is it needed? #3  
Can you post pictures of what you're trying to do?

/ Plug wielding---- when is it needed? #4  
On a wider plate plug welds will add strength and not allow any deflection of the beam under load. They will work similar to if you bolted the plate to the beam.
Bolts = holes = drill, I hate a drill!:laughing:

/ Plug wielding---- when is it needed?
'Splain how to post a picture.....and will do it.

/ Plug wielding---- when is it needed? #6  
Similar to bolting is not the same as bolting but you have to make holes for plug welds.

/ Plug wielding---- when is it needed? #7  
Hit "go advanced" when replying and then there is a manage attachments (I think) and it is sort of self explan. from there.

/ Plug wielding---- when is it needed?
Houle- 03.21.14 broken tongue.jpg

Not as hard posting a picture as I thought.....just have to be able to read!

Looks to me that also.....reason for not just laying a piece under the box metal is that----- the downward pressure would only have to shear 3/8, whereas by putting plate on side of box, the downward shear would have to effectively shear 8inches of 3/8 metal......am I thinking correctly?

/ Plug wielding---- when is it needed? #9  
Similar to bolting is not the same as bolting but you have to make holes for plug welds.

10-4! I was picturing the repair in my shop and instantly the lazy side of me came out and (in my head) I was punching the holes in the plate with the I/W.:thumbsup:

/ Plug wielding---- when is it needed? #10  
Has you dealer been out to look at this failure? That break is hard to point a finger at user abuse. You can't overload it, not a moving part, didn't look like it has been "jackknifed" of otherwise damaged. Frame problems are either one of the above or a design/material issue. Add fatigue but like you said, not very old.